38: Preparations

" How's the evacuation going ? " Korra asked Wu and Raiko.

" Could be better. At this point we've evacuated almost... eighteen families. " Wu said after glancing briefly his papers.

" Only eighteen ? There are millions of people in this city ! " Korra remarked.

" I said it could be better. " The Prince defended.

" The problem is, it's a voluntary evacuation and there aren't very many volunteers. They just don't feel like they're in any immediate danger. " Mako commented.

Korra opened her mouth to reply but never had the chance as Bolin entered the room in hurry.

" Guys ! Good, you're all here ! " The earth bender said; he was breathless.

Korra stood on her feet and walked to Kitiara who went inside Raiko's office after Bolin.

Kitiara was accompanied by Suyin, Lin and Zhu-Li. The rest of the Beifongs preferred to stay in Air Temple Island and rest.

" What's with you interrupting my important meetings all the time ? " Raiko pushed his lips into a thin line.

Before going to stand next to her girlfriend, the avatar welcomed Su. " Su... what are you... you're okay ! "

Suyin and Korra exchanged a hug. " I'm so sorry about Zaofu. How did you escape ? " The woman gazed at all the Beifongs waiting to hear more about their adventure.

" Opal, Kit, Beifong, and I rescued everyone. But we had a run in with Kuvira. We saw her super spirit weapon up close. Like, really close. Way too close. " Bolin replied with a grimace.

Korra did some steps toward Kitiara and wrapped her right hand around the kyoshi warrior's waist.

Lin raised an eyebrow at this movement but did not react further.

" Is she going to use it against Republic City ? " Tenzin inquired; the air master was extremely worried about everybody's safety.

" Yes. I found out she's going to attack in two weeks. " Zhu-Li answered.

" Ooh ! And Zhu-Li's on our side now. Actually, she never really switched sides and I'm just gonna let her explain the whole thing. Zhu-Li ? " Bolin cut in before gesturing to his friend to elaborate.

" I pretended to be loyal to Kuvira so I could sabotage her weapon. It didn't work, but I did overhear her plans to attack. " The non bender explained.

" I knew she wouldn't stop at Zaofu. " Raiko slammed his fist on the table angrily. ( it didn't happen in the show but I think that it's better this way )

" My guess is, she's coming by rail. It's the only way she can transport that weapon. " Lin suggested.

" Then we'll cut the rail lines. " Korra proposed.

" I agree. But let's get as many citizens evacuated before we do. " Raiko agreed and turned to Mako. " Put out the announcement. The evacuation is now mandatory. "

" We're on it, sir. " The fire bender nodded.

" Don't worry Mr. President. I won't let Kuvira take our city. " Korra's grip around Kitiara's waist tightened.

Kitiara sighed and rested her head on her lover's shoulder.

This was going to be a long fight.

***

Kitiara flew toward the United Forces Army. She flew closer to Iroh's battleship.