32: The inevitable meeting

" Hello, dear. " Lin responded, smiling at her.

Opal's and Mako's eyes widened as they saw the trio. Korra grinned at her girlfriend.

She was here.

" Kitiara Beifong. May you explain to me what took you so long to come to Republic City ? " Raiko glared at the kyoshi warrior.

Lin, Tenzin and Izumi gazed at Raiko with a hint of anger for his slightly rude question.

" We were caught committing treason... I really think that we came just in time. You can't say that we are late. " She titled her head to the side.

Raiko gave her a nod. " Indeed. We would like to hear some things about your trip to our lovely city, if that's okay with you. "

Kitiara took a deep breath. " There are not many things to be said. We almost died plenty of times, managed to escape twice and came here with a boat. "

The air bender did not wish to share more information with the President.

Raiko hid his disappointment for not hearing more details about their journey.

" I was informed that you would be a team of four people. You, Bolin, Varrick and Zhu-Li. I want to believe that my information was not mistaken. " Raiko continued speaking.

" No, your source, my mom, was correct. That's what I wrote in my letter. Zhu-Li made her choice and decided that she would feel more valuable if she worked with Kuvira. " The woman looked for a second at the ground before returning her gaze to him.

Raiko raised an eyebrow as his attention shifted for a moment to a half-disappointed-and-half-angry Varrick.

He then returned back to the Beifong. " I'm extremely sorry to hear that. We got, at least, rid of the traitor before she did any more damage. "

Varrick and Bolin grimaced at his harsh words while Kitiara looked daggers at him.

" Although, I'm really surprised that you had not suspected anything in advance, miss Beifong. " The president continued.

Korra gasped. How dare he say such a thing to Kit.

But, the kyoshi warrior's expression did not even slightly change. Seriousness and disgust were two emotions clear on her face.

" What are you implying Raiko ? " Her voice was apathetic.

" Nothing. Nothing at all. I was just surprised because I had heard so many great things about you. " The man shrugged.

Kitiara crossed her hands over her chest. " Whatever you may heard, must be neither from my mom, nor from my dad or Asami. It's likely to be fake. "

Raiko nodded. " You are totally right, but not completely. Everybody knows about how modest you are. "

Kitiara rolled her eyes. " Is that what you are calling formalities ? Because I think that you have dropped them somewhere on your way here. "

Silence filled the room. Varrick was internally screaming, enjoying Raiko's distress as Bolin swallowed hard.

Lin side gazed Raiko as she kicked Tenzin from under the table. Tenzin, who had been staring at Kitiara in shock, came back from the void.

A chuckle was heard and all of the heads snapped at the Fire Lord's direction.

" Oh, where are our manners ? Kitiara Beifong, I hope that President Raiko did not make you feel uncomfortable. However, you should understand that we are not entirely convinced of you being so willing to help us. Not after your time under Kuvira's service. " Izumi gave her a sad smile.