Chapter 29

It all happened too fast.

The suddenly blasts from tanks scared me, but I was tied up to a pole. I couldn't move. My body was shaking, and my vision at that point was so decrepit that I just saw green blobs as the tanks. My legs gave out, and I just collapsed. The gunfire seemed more loud and vivid than usual.

A pair of hands wrapped around my shoulders, and a very familiar British accent was in my ear.

"I've found you."

I knew who it was. I knew the man who untied my bonds. He was my only shred of family I had left.

"Doc...tor," I said weakly.

"Don't," he said softly. "I'm surprised you're alive."

I felt the ground move away, and I guessed that he had lifted me up. His arms cradled me close to his chest as my head bobbed backward. My breath was raspy.

I faintly heard the chaos around me. Shouts, gunfire, explosions. I only cared about one thing.

The familiar hum of the TARDIS. 

I was laid on the ground, my blood still seeping from my wounds. The doors shut, and the controls were manipulated. A familiar motion rocked the ship, and the whirring of the engines began as we fled Nazi Germany.

He sat down next to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. He noticed the blood.

"What happened?" he asked.

I looked at him. My vision was returning. "Nazis," I replied.