Chapter 8

I already gave you my answer, and the answer is no," I said coldly.

He sighed. "Well, I still have no idea who you are. I only know that you're brilliant, an orphan, your name, and that you have a gift that allows you to conjure energy."

"And that's all you need to know." I glared at him. No one needed to know anything about my life.

"How about your name?" he asked.

"I told you. It's Misty."

"I'll bet that's a nickname," he said. "Your full name, first and last."

"It's Mystique. Mystique Lawrence."

His jaw dropped open. "I knew a Mystique Lawrence. She's supposed to be dead."

"Well, that makes me feel so good about myself," I said sarcastically.

"She'd be 14 now. Oh, what a sweet girl. Had a big personality and had a mind of her own. She loved her model horses." He laughed softly. "I once touched one and she shouted that no one touches Jasmine. Or Shawn, for that matter. Her horses meant the world to her."

As he continued to talk about this other Mystique Lawrence, I got more and more freaked out. The more he said, the more it sounded like...like me. I couldn't take it.

"SHUT UP!" I suddenly shouted. "Just shut up! Stop talking!"

He looked at me and walked closer, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"No," I said, "how would you?"

He looked at me gently, with those ancient brown eyes. "There's something I should tell you, but I'm not sure if you're ready."

He suddenly yanked me into his body and hugged me.

"You don't deserve this. Any of this. You're just a kid," he murmured.

By now I was returning his favor and I was hugging him back. I realized how nice it was to know someone cared. Someone who didn't see through me. Someone who didn't think I was a freak. It wasn't what I was used to, but I liked it.

I didn't know I was crying until he wiped a tear off my face.

"You alright, Love?" he asked.

"Yeah. You just... took me by surprise, that's all. Nobody has shown any form of affection to me since my parents died."

"I never thanked you, by the way. For saving me back there."

"It was nothing," I said.

"You could've left me."

"I would've been stuck since I can't drive the TARDIS."

"True," he said. "Anyway, I thought we could have some bonding time. So, you know. We could get to know each other. Bit of food, sightseeing-"

I stepped back when he said 'food.'

"What have I done now?" he asked indignantly.

"I haven't eaten a proper meal in the last 9 years," I whispered.

Concern filled his face. "No wonder you're so tiny. How'd you even survive?"

"Money stashes. Crap like that," I said.

He nodded, but didn't say anything else.

"Where are we, anyway?"

He smiled. "New York city. What is the present day to you. I haven't been, so why not?"

I nodded. He took my hand, and we stepped out into the chilly landscape.