"Pardon?"

"Should I be expecting an essay from you sometimes this week?" He joked. An essay. He called my appeal an essay. Fair enough.

"Um. Well. I haven't broken anything or angered any customers this week. But then again, it's only Tuesday." Was my answer and he seemed to like it very much as he laughed, "You read my letter?" I asked, surprised.

He nodded, "If I had time."

I blinked.

"It's one of many things I ought to do in order to ensure things run smoothly around here." He added.

Obviously, I'd assumed.

"But yes, usually, I don't really review employees' letters." He implied, "It's Dante's job." Yet, he read mine.

Not sure where the conversation was leading, and how exactly to respond, I attempted for the second times.

"Mr. Alonso, if there is nothing else you wish to ask me—"

"Are you free tomorrow?" He cut me off.

"Yes. It's my day off. Why?" I answered. Totally unprepared of what he was about to ask me next.

"Go on a date with me." Was that a request or an order?

My eyes bulged.

As I attempted to speak, words were strangled in my throat so he beat me to it.

"Just a friendly dinner." He clarified, "Write down your address. I'll pick you up around six in the evening."

Observing my shock expression, he hastened to ask.

"Wait. You're single, right?"

I automatically nodded and perplexity ordinarily settled in his eyes.

"Are you alright?"

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until my lungs started to burn. I snapped out of my rude silence.

"I can't." I answered, bluntly.

He titled his head to one side, frowning a little, "Alright.."

Suddenly, my vision blurred and a wave of pointless regret washed over me. I shouldn't have said no. What if he got angry and fired me? Worst. What if he started yelling at me and I lost it, bawling my eyes out right in front of my boss. That could be embarrassing.

"I-It's not that I wouldn't love to go, sir. I just had this thing. I-I.."

"Relax." He smiled, shaking his head as he leaned forward, resting on his unoccupied arms on the huge desk, "You can say no to me, Aurora. It's okay."

"Is it?" I said, involuntarily and he frowned, "Please. Don't get offended."

"Why would I?" He asked, confused.

"It's just—" Right off the top of my head, I tried to look for the right word. The right context which would prescribe, in the most suitable and the most friendly way, that I dislike his kind. My sudden quietness must have caught him off guard.

"Are you attracted to women?" He asked, sounding almost disappointed, but open-minded.

"No." I replied.

"So you're interested in men then?"

"No." I blurted out and wanted to slit my own throat open for that. Say something else apart from No. For God's sake.

"I'm confused." He lowly chuckled, "Are you not interested in both men and women, or are you just not interested in me, Aurora?

"Could you please stop calling me by my old name?" I snapped. Regretted it a second after upon noticing how his gaze deliberately hardened.