Chapter 18 - Disaster

Start from the beginning

Gri was about to open his mouth again, when a knock cut them both off. Doc glanced over at the door, but it was open and nobody was standing there.

Another knock.

It seemed to be coming from the outside of the ship, so Grian glanced down through the porthole beside him. His eyes widened when he saw a sad looking Scar tapping on the glass, mouthing 'I need to talk'.

"Uh... I'll... go see what it was!" Grian quickly told Doc, who was too busy scribbling a message onto the paper, before running out to the beach where his boyfriend was waiting.

"Scar, you're not supposed to be here!" He pointed out, sitting down at the rocks beside him. "What's wrong?"

"I missed you." Scar admitted, pulling himself out of the water to hug Grian.

"I- I missed you too, but it's still not safe!" Gri continued. "We still don't know if the other pirates are gonna hurt you."

"So... you're just gonna send me away again?" Scar asked, his sad eyes making the pirate's heart melt.

"...I'll stay for a few minutes." He agreed. "But promise me you'll go home, and stay there, afterwards?"

"I promise." The merman replied, kissing his cheek. "That's all I wanted anyway."

Grian smiled, hugging his boyfriend a little tighter. He'd missed him too, and was almost glad to see him and know everything was ok.

"I love you." He admitted. "A lot."

Scar pulled back, beaming with happiness. He opened his mouth to reply, but was suddenly grabbed from behind and pulled away.

He gasped, kicking and thrashing against whoever was holding him. If this was BDubs or Ezra again, he was gonna-

"Oh my goodness Scar! Are you alright?!"

Xisuma's voice made his stomach plummet like a heavy rock. He glanced back over at Grian, who was trying to reach to him, but X pulled his friend away.

"Stay away from him!" He yelled.

Scar tried to say something, to call to Grian or to try and stop Xisuma, but was dragged beneath the water before he could. X pulled him along as fast as he could, before exhaling with relief when they got home.

"You're not hurt, are you Scar? He didn't do anything to you when he grabbed you?"

Scar could feel tears welling up in his eyes, his heart still slamming against his chest in panic. He wasn't sure what was going on, he'd thought this would never happen yet it was happening there and then.

"H-he didn't-"

"That's good." Xisuma sighed, before hugging his friend. "It's alright, he won't go anywhere near you again, I promise."

X had it all wrong, but Scar was still too overwhelmed to try and tell him. He wasn't even sure if he could tell him. Some of the others had noticed what was happening, and were coming over to ask if he was ok.

"I- I can't..." Scar stammered, not sure what else to say. He was breathing too quickly, his head felt too light, and everyone crowding him was just too much. "I'm sorry!"

Before anyone could say or do anything, he pushed past Xisuma and took off in the opposite direction. X was about to go after him, but Ezra grabbed his hand.

"What the heck did you do?!"

"Nothing!" Xisuma insisted. "A human tried to grab Scar and I stopped him!"

"A human?" Ezra repeated, before his face drained of all colour. "Wait... was he blonde?"

"Yeah?"

"Blue eyes? About 5 feet tall?"

"Yes..." X confirmed, starting to feel uneasy. "H-how did you know...?"

"BECAUSE THAT WAS GRIAN YOU IDIOT!" He exploded.

Now it was Xisuma's turn to go white in the face. He stared at his twin for a few seconds, eyes wide and full of shock.

"Th-that was Grian...? He's human?"

Ezra nodded, fists balled up in anger and ready to punch his brother's face. But what X said next caught him off guard.

"Oh goodness, why didn't he tell me?" He gasped, the shock on his face switching to guilt and regret. "Hold on, I need to talk to him..."

And with that, Xisuma disappeared after his friend, desperate to try and fix things before he ruined them even more. It was so obvious now that he thought about it, and suddenly Scar's reluctance to talk about his boyfriend made so much more sense to him.

He couldn't understand how he'd managed to mess up this badly. Scar had fallen in love with a human, but X's long lasting fear of them must have made him too afraid to admit it. The guilt Xisuma felt was well deserved, and he was determined to make it better.

He eventually came across Scar, who had his face buried in his hands as he cried. He glanced up at Xisuma, quickly trying to dry his tears.

"I-I'm so sorry X... I didn't mean to-"

"No." X interrupted, hugging his friend. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For doing such a horrible job at being a friend that you were afraid to tell me about Grian." He admitted.

"You're... you're not angry?"

"Of course not, and I'm sorry that you thought so." Xisuma explained. "I promise you Scar, as long as you love Grian, and he loves you as much as I do, I wouldn't care for one second if he was a merman or not."

Scar couldn't help but smile, wiping the rest of his tears away.

"R-really?"

"Really." X confirmed, holding his arms out to hug his friend again. But unfortunately, neither of them had noticed how close they were to the boat.

The net grabbed Scar before he could even see it, and pulled him out of the water before he or Xisuma could react. He screamed, grabbing at the ropes to try and free himself, but it was no use. He'd already been hauled onto the deck of the unfamiliar ship, where several strangers stood around him.

He thrashed and yelled at the top of his lungs, but a hand was forced over his mouth. He looked up to see a blonde stranger, who almost seemed sad.

"I am really, really sorry about this." Was all he said, before Scar was hit in the back of the head.

I know I updated yesterday, but motivation hit me like a wrecking ball at 7am and I speed-wrote this trainwreck of a chapter  👍

- Xan