38

After that unsettling meeting with Mr. Gilinsky, my brain kept coming up with so many questions and theories that it all made me think I was going crazy.

Who was that person? Maybe a shy friend or one of Mr. Gilinsky's secret family members that nobody should know about.

What were they doing? Taking care of Mr. Gilinsky, duh. He had mentioned he was feeling unwell.

Was my teacher actually sick? Well, he looked like he was, not that he would gain something by lying, although he seemed completely fine to me when I spotted him during lunch.

I couldn't get a good look of the person before the door was shut in my face but, I was able to perceive that they had blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. What made it weird was the fact that those features seemed familiar to me. I just couldn't place them.

Why was I even wasting my energy thinking about it though? Whatever Mr. Gilinsky has done in his life was never my business to get involved in. Either way, I should be focusing more on my situation with Ethan and Elle, instead of meddling in someone else's business.

Walking down the school's steps, I saw Elle with her dark sunglasses, waiting for me by her car, arms folded over chest and a frown carved across her flawless face.

My heart started beating rapidly while I jogged over to stand in front of her, making sure I was not within her arm's reach. I couldn't potentially risk myself getting throat punched by her.

"My meeting got canceled," I began.

"Get in. We'll talk on the way," Elle instructed in a bored tone and got into the backseat.

It was funny to think that I was suddenly hesitant to get in the car with her when I was bold enough to be in one with Kaleb, the biggest source of my discomfort. Elle, who had realized I didn't budge from my place, rolled her window down.

"What's wrong?"

"We can talk here. I have Ethan to get home," I told her, hopeful that she would accede.

Elle tipped her sunglasses down and directed a bone-chilling glare at me. "I've already texted Ethan about giving you a ride home. Get in before I lose my patience."

And that was all I needed to jump into the backseat next to her, almost tripping on air while I did so. I felt so embarrassed when I found out through the rear view mirror her driver was laughing at my stupid action.

The car ride could be described as one simple word; unpleasant. Elle hadn't said a word to me and I was worried for both of us. Soft jazz music on the radio that was supposed to be relaxing only ended up adding tension to the air instead.

"Elle," I said, awkwardly clearing my throat.

"Want something to drink?" she offered, grabbing a bottle of Evian out from the cooler box between the seats.

I attempted a smile and shook my head politely. "No, thank you."

Elle caught my gaze and narrowed her eyes. "I promise it's not drugged or poisoned."

"Just not thirsty," I replied causing her to open herself one then take a quick drink before me as if she was proving how true it was.