12, When I Carried It Home

Everyone began to stare. They stared at the Dutch singer with wide eyes and low-hanging jaws. Even though some of them knew that the victim wasn't him, it still shocked them. How did he get here? Why did he fake his death?

"Duncan Laurence? B-but I killed you!" Matteo grumbled from the ground.

"Well, if you wanted me dead, you should've done a better job." Duncan chuckled. Matteo was shocked out of his mind. So was Mahmood who almost lost his life.

"How?... How the hell are you alive?" Matteo grumbled.

"Well, it's a long story. If you sit back and listen, I'll tell you." Duncan said. Everyone looked up at him.

"When I was on a walk, I overheard you and your goons talking about framing Mahmood for murder, that's when a million red flags went off in my head. At first, I didn't think that I would be your target. I thought you'd want someone like Damiano David, or Måns Zelmerlöw, but then the night of the party came. When the lights flickered off, someone grabbed my shoulder and pinned me aside." That's when I was 100% sure that if you wanted to frame Mahmood, then you'd probably come after me.

Luckily, I had come up with a plan just in case you'd be plotting my demise. I called up a good friend who coincidentally looked like he could be my identical twin and told him that my life could potentially be on the line. With a little convincing, and $20,000, I got him to pretend to be dead by taking some kind of drink that I bought from a convenience store. We had it tested. It was safe...."

"Get to the point!" Matteo ordered.

"Okay, sheesh. When Jordan and I showed up to the party, neither of us expected much... Until the lights flickered off. Jordan and I had separated without knowing it, and that's when I felt someone touch my shoulder and forcefully try to pin me to the wall. As I knew it was my cue, I let out a scream. What I didn't expect was for one of your minions to cut my arm. I kicked him where it hurt. He let me go, and I ran faster than I've ever run before.

As the lights turned on, Jordan found the not-so dead body of that identical twin friend I mentioned earlier, and assumed it was me. I had to keep it that way for awhile so that he wouldn't blow the cover... He's probably going to want to kill me later, for real this time." Duncan chuckled at that last part as he rubbed his neck.

Everyone was left speechless. Especially Mahmood. When he finally gained the composure to say something, he asked the one question out of millions that he still remembered.

"But why would you fake your death?" He asked.

"For one, I didn't 'fake' my death. I thought I was going to die, but had a plan just in case. But if you want to call it faking, then there are two reasons. One reason was because I wanted to protect Mahmood and myself. Two, so that I could catch the murderer." Duncan responded.

"So you didn't know it was Matteo until after he tried to kill you?" Ochman asked. Duncan nodded.

Then, it was back to silence and speechlessness. Then, Matteo broke the silence.

"Alright, alright! So you caught me, but what are you going to do about it? It's not like any of you can stop me!" Matteo cackled.

"Actually, the cops will be here any time now. It's over for you, Matteo!" Duncan responded, Everyone looked at Matteo. Their eyes, filled with genuineness and seriousness.
Suddenly, the door bursts open, and Michael barges into the room.

"GUYS!!! COME QUICK!!! THE PLACE IS ON FIRE!!!!!!" he cried. At that moment, everyone panicked. Pillars started to crack, and people were screaming.

"Everyone! Stay calm! We need to assess the situation in a calm manner." Mahmood tried to calm everyone down. It was working, until everyone realized that Matteo had run off.