Chapter 21

Date: Monday, March 21

Luke picked Sophia up from school and was taking her to the hospital since she had an appointment with Michael today to discuss the treatment plan. What Sophia didn't know was that Luke was bringing someone with him.

"Bye guys, see you tomorrow," Sophia said to Lizzy and Hunter. She started walking towards Luke's car. When she looked up she saw someone leaning up against it. When she recognized who it was she immediately smiled and took off running towards them straight into their arms.

"I missed you," Sophia said.

"I missed you too, Munchkin," Her oldest brother said.

They both pulled away from the hug and then realization hit Sophia.

"Oh my gosh Ben, I am so sorry. I have completely forgotten to text you in the past week," Sophia said looking up at him.

"It's ok. Luke told me what has been going on. Everything is going to be fine, I promise. I am going to be here for you," Ben said, looking down at her.

"Thank you, Ben. Oh, guess what?" She said, smiling wide.

"What?" Ben said, matching her enthusiasm.

"I'm thinking about making a band with my friends. Called 6 seconds of summer. What do you think?"

"I think that would be amazing, little sis."

-----------------

Luke, Sophia, Ben, and Michael were all sitting in Michaels's office.

"Ok, so Sophia you are in the first stage of Ewing Sarcoma which is good because that means we caught it early which leads me to be optimistic that you will be able to beat it and be in remission at some point in the future. On to the treatment. It's not going to be easy. We will be doing 2 cycles each lasting 3 weeks with one week of rest. We will then do another MRI scan to see if the tumor has shrunk at all and if it has then we will discuss surgery to remove the rest. If it hasn't then we will do two more cycles of chemo and go from there. Any questions?"

Everyone looked at Sophia to see if they could see what her reaction was but she just sat there with no emotion on her face.

"Soph, are you ok?" Luke asked her with a slight hint of concern.

"Oh yeah, I'm good. Just trying to take in everything Dr. Clifford just said," She said.

Michael was taken back. She never calls him Dr. Clifford.

"So Chemo for 2 weeks and then another MRI scan and possible surgery and if not two more weeks of chemo?" Sophia asked, looking at Michael.

"That is correct."

"When do we start?" Sophia asked.

"Next Monday," Michael said, trying to read her face but he got nothing.

"Ok," She said flatly.

"Well if you don't have any more questions right now you are free to go. You know how to find me if you get any," Michael said.

"Yes, I do. Dr. Clifford. Thank you," Sophia said, standing up.

There she goes again calling me Dr. Clifford.

"Hey, Soph. Ben and I have to go do something and we can't take you so you can either stay here with Michael or you can go sit with Calum in his office," Luke said while he and Ben stood up.

"Calum," She said rather quickly.

"Ouch, you don't want to hang out with me?" Michael said.

"Nah, I hang out with you a lot. I want to see Calum," Sophia said.