3

Miran could not escape Kira. She followed him everywhere he went, following closely behind him, her toes in his heels.

Her dark brown skin has more color to it after a few days, but she still insisted she follow him no matter where he went. So he stayed still. He didn't want her to see the layout of the pack. She was still an outsider after all.

Kira's fingers stroke the keys of the piano. She liked it, he thought. She never played, only look longingly at it.

"I have duties today," he announced. "You're not to come with me."

Kira stood anyway, putting her hand on the back of his shirt.

He sighed, lifted her up with one hand and setting her down. "Kira..."

She looked down. "I'm sorry. I'll stay put." She sat down.

He noted her expression and heaved a sigh, standing. He left her to her devices alone, walking around the border of the pack. His pack was well over 30 acres. He patrolled the border every day. It didn't take long. An hour to be thorough. His mind flitted back to Kira, the wild against his face. She was...interesting. But more then that there was something about her that wasn't quite right.

Something he couldn't place. Something innate and ingrained. Something about her didn't smell right. She didn't smell bad...Just not right for the information she'd given him. He'd given her enough time to explain herself. With the border clear, he headed back home.

He walked up the stairs, opening the door and slamming it shut.

Kira looked up at him, started. She was sitting at the piano.

"You smell strange," He informed her, pulling off his shirt.

Kira sniffed herself. "I didn't realize. I'm sorry I—"

He shook his head. "No. Not that scent. You smell like me right now. You have my...I meant your...other scent. I can't seem to tell what species you are. Enlighten me."

Kira shrugged. "I'm human. I'm a human woman."

He blinked, sitting next to her at the piano. His large hands slammed down on the keys dramatically on the minor keys playing a discordant note.

"No," he said with finality. "You're not."

He looked over at her. His hair was pulled back, his shirtless body scarred, muscles bulging. He was athletically built but was still somewhat soft. She leaned closer. He wanted to get rid of her, it seemed. But she couldn't go back.

"I don't understand of course I am. I...I can't fly or drink blood without puking and I'm not a wolf. What else would I be?" She nervously asked, a shiver taking over her body.

"Hm...what else would I be? That is interesting. I don't know, Kira. And truthfully. I don't care. You don't have to go...but you have to get the hell out of here, hm?"

Kira reached out, touching his hand as they hesitated above the keys. His eyes were a light brown color almost yellow. They peered deep into her soul, shaking her.

"If you abandon me...If you make me leave I will die. There is no doubt no hesitance. When I leave I will die, Miran. Can you be convinced to shelter me?"

Miran quirked his brow. "Shelter you from what? From who?"

Kira swallowed roughly. "Does it matter? It's not like anyone is a match for you, right?"

Miran wasn't amused. Appealing to his ego was what she attempting to do. She wasn't as innocent as she appeared was she? She was trying to manipulate him. He just wasn't as gullible as she assumed. Her fault.

She wasn't wrong though. It wasn't likely whatever was following her was stronger than him. The issue? It wasn't just him. He had responsibilities. And he couldn't think of a good reason why she should be one of them.

Kira looked down. "I'll live like I'm dead, I swear. I don't have to stay here. I do y need anything. I just...need your protection."

Miran pursed his lips and sighed once more. "Something about you seems wrong, Kira."

She smiled softly but said nothing. She stood, walking away. "I'll stay out of your sight."

Miran played a gentle tune on the piano closing his eyes. He'd have to do research on her. His fingers massaged the keys, her image flitted behind his eyes, as he did forming a new melody.

Something mysterious to fit her.

"Letting her stay then, sir?"

He paused, but didn't open his eyes, giving a silent nod of affirmation.

"And that seems like a smart decision to you sir?" Lucina asked leaning against the door.

Miran shrugged. "Not particularly. But it's what I'm doing for now. Do you think I can handle it?"

Lucian sighed. "Don't know anything you can't."

Miran smirked. "Ah, and how are the pups these days?"

Lucian shrugged. "The same as they were yesterday. Running about. Biting things they shouldn't."

Miran' slips turned up, his hands moving once more, caressing music from the instrument. "Lucian, do you worry for me?"

"Of course I do, Miran. You're..."

Miran waved his hand. "Ah, so sentimental. Hey...make sure you eat before you go out. You can't skip breakfast."

Lucian grumbled, walking away. Miran just smiled infinitesimally, playing the piano. He'd look forward to the havoc she may wreak. He would put an end to the war soon, and his life would fall into a lull. He didn't enjoy silence.

It was discordant and disturbing, silence. He would do anything to fill it. Even allowing a war was better than the mundane silence. The way it filtered in and tore at his nerves, wriggling under his skin like a parasite.

There was nothing worse than the silence. Thats why he had this piano. Whenever the silence got too loud, he'd play it, drowned it out. It was all he could to stay together. Let himself, his pack, his life in tact. And do what if things like memories or his childhood, peace in silence, or relaxation were out of reach for him?

None of that was necessary.
He had a piano, after all.