02

Five still wasn't sure about Jude, that much was clear, as he discreetly glared from across the room and watched his every move, looking for some sort of threat in the clearly harmless boy. Jude didn't notice, at least not all of it, because he was too amazed by Five's presence after all the stories he had been told and the power he held. Beau had tried to break the tension numerous times but the air was thick with uncertainty and distrust - from Five's corner - and he knew how stubborn he could be.

Jude sat beside Beau as Five inspected the house. The art supplies were messily laid out on one side with paint stains on the sheet covering the ground and the isle's wood unrecognisable by the colours laid on thick. Books stacked up on shelves and the coffee table, paintings hung around the room, clothes draped over the back of chairs that were too bright to be Beau's, it looked like a real home and one that was lived in day to day happily. It was warm and colourful, something which even Beau had a hard time coming to terms with seeing as he was neither of those things. He let Jude do as he pleased with it, occasionally picking up articles of clothing to fold and put away or straightening the boy's bed when he was out.

Beau could feel Five's heartache despite his knowledge of their friendship because he knew what it was like to love a friend while trying to keep it hidden in the shadows, it was painful but it could be done and maybe he could feel Beau and Jude's connection that ran deeper than any of his other amicable relationships. Beau hated to wonder if Five felt he had betrayed him, he certainly didn't want to feel that from him so he didn't.

"How long have you two lived together?" Five questioned the pair, turning to stare at them apprehensively, as he continued to peer around the living room and open kitchen.

Jude turned his gaze to Beau but he couldn't return it, choosing to keep his eyes on Five instead. Beau tried to remain calm, "Thirteen months, one week and five days." That received quite the shock from both of them, Beau would have been shocked too if he hadn't been counting every single day from the time he had been sent there.

Five frowned, "And why are you living together?" 

Beau could feel his disbelief, that maybe Jude was just another illusion created to fill his loneliness but then why was Rosie nowhere to be seen? Why had she left him?

Black eyes met blue in reassurance, seeing as it wasn't Beau's place to speak for Jude in any way and he nodded in understanding. "My father was an unkind man, Beau realised that and told me I could stay here if I wanted and at first I didn't but then... then something happened and I took his offer."

Five seemed to soften slightly at that, knowing what it was like to live under a cruel guardian, it was a pain he knew all too well and maybe that would bring them closer - at least Beau hoped. But nothing could be forced or else things wouldn't work out well at all. 

"Five, what happened?" Beau couldn't keep it in anymore, he needed to know or his mind would rip in two and his power would win the battle with his control.

"We should talk alone." Five looked at Jude who had been fidgeting with his hands awkwardly, wide eyes shifting back and forth between the two.

As soon as Jude moved to get up from his seat Beau placed a hand on his knee without so much as a glance, "He knows everything, he can stay." Beau knew it would upset but he had to realise Jude was a part of his life whether he liked it or not and he wouldn't be kicked out just because Five wanted it. Yes, he was back and Beau couldn't be happier but that didn't mean Jude had been his replacement the entire time.

Five glared heatedly, "Everything?"

"Yes." 

"You told him about me? Your powers? Your family?"