Fifty-Nine

Mare

It's been months since my return.  I look out from the balcony, bump now large.  It seems I get new dresses but they don't last long because I outgrow them.  I keep looking out at the sunset, watching the colors change. 

"You alright?" I hear Maven ask behind me.  

I turn my head.  "If you can say that."

He comes out onto the balcony with me.  "I know it hasn't been easy." 

I chuckle forcefully.  "Some people love the fact that a Red is Queen, others hate it, most around the palace hate it, and most think I am some skank for wanting to have a child so early in marriage."

Maven goes quiet, thinking, but then hugs me from behind after a pause.  Both of his warm hands on my bump, chin resting on my head.  "I'm sorry, love."

"It's not your fault," 

"Maybe it is, all because I am King, I am Silver, I am everything you aren't,"

I turn around, not breaking apart our embrace.  "Maven."

"What?" His words are clipped. 

"That is not what I meant, dear," I sigh while I think of the right words. "It isn't everything I expected I guess.  I thought the Reds and Silvers being united would fix all issues but some don't want it that way.  There is nothing they can do about it."

I stop to watch Maven.  He won't look up at me, but I can tell he wants to. 

"Those people who don't like will have to put up with it, put up with us being so head over heels over each other that we can't help it."

He laughs.  "Really? That sounds so bad."

"Well, I'm not wrong," 

He kisses my forehead.  "You aren't, darling."

"See, is saying that I am right so bad?"

He exasperates his thinking, being dramatic about it. "Yes, yes it is."

I kick his foot.  "Really?"

He laughs, shaking his head.  I can't help but laugh too.  "Want to know something, Mare?"

I cock my head in response. 

"Most royals don't get to marry for love.  It's all for power or a charade, or both.  It's been a long time since a Calore has married for power.  I am the one to break that tradition, and I married out of love, not power.  And you have no idea how happy I am because of that,"

I'm full-blown blushing by the time his words are finished.  "I love you too."

He hugs me tight.  "You have no idea how much I do."

"I love you too, Mavey,"

He looks at me, smiling.  Then he gets on his knees.  "And I love you two also, don't you forget that."

I chuckle.  "Must you?"

"Yes,"

"It's embarrassing,"

"Very necessary," He smiles and then kisses my bump once.  "One for Ruby," then again, "And one for Luna."

I roll my eyes at his antics.  Deep down I love that he does this.  He gets back up, cups my cheek, and pulls me into a deep kiss. 

"And one for my lovely wife."

"Really?" 

He kisses me again.  "Yes."

"You are a lovesick puppy," I cross my arms. 

"So are you," He counters. 

"I am not,"

He raises an eyebrow, clearly not convinced.  I stare at him with a challenging glare.  He chuckles playfully then picks me up bridal style, still well aware of the bump. 

"Hey! No fair!" 

"Yes fair," He places me down on our bed.  "You are a lovesick puppy too, love."

"I am not," 

He then kisses me everywhere.  My cheeks, lips, forehead, neck, bump, breasts.  All quick pecks.  "That tickles!"  He doesn't react and keeps kissing me everywhere.  "Okay, okay, I'll admit it, I can be lovesick, alright, I love you."

He then kisses me on my lips, long and deep.  A slight sound comes out of me due to the sheer shock.  "There's my girl."

"You are going to be the death of me,"

"Consider it an honorable way to die, darling,"

I roll my eyes as he gets off on top of me before laying next to me.  "I hate to break it to you, but we have a broadcast tomorrow."

I groan like a toddler.  "No, don't make me."

"I'm sorry, but I have to,"

"No fair, can I just use the pregnant excuse?"

"That only works on me,"

"But you're the King, just force them to not have it happen,"

"I wish I could love, but it's necessary,"

I whine and give him puppy eyes.

"Sorry dear," 

I grumpily roll over, a childish act.  Maven chuckles deeply, then hugs me from behind.   "You can't stay mad."

"Yes, I can," 

He kisses my cheek, then strokes my back.  His hands were so warm and soft, making the perfect shapes and direction on my back. 

"Fine, I can't," 

"I win," 

I roll my eyes, and Maven snuggles close, kissing the back of my neck with one hand on my bump.  "I love you."

"I love you too."