Forty-One

Evangeline

My breath hitches. Wait a hot second did Maven just announce that me and Ca- Tiberius were getting married. Again?

I look over at Elane, she looks just as clueless as I do. The crowd around us is bustling now, chattering and being clamorous. I have no clue what's going on. I scan the crowd, looking for Tiberius. All the heads are looking at either me, Maven, or Tiberius. That's how I can find him.

I look at where some people are looking and I find him pretty quickly. He looks even more confused than me, shrugging his shoulders and his thick eyebrows creased tightly. He makes eye contact with me and immediately looks away.

I raise my eyebrow. He doesn't like this either?

Makes sense, now he can't be with Mare.

Well, he couldn't be with her anyway, she's engaged to Maven.

Why is Maven doing this anyway? What is he up to?

***

As the crowd fizzles out, I walk back into the castle, following Maven.

"Maven!" I call out to him, walking faster. He doesn't do anything but flinch as he continues to walk in the same direction.

This idiot.

"Maven!" I say, calling out to him even louder, going to a quick jog. He still doesn't flinch at all.

I hear someone else call his name from behind me. I look over my right shoulder and look as well. It's Tiberius. He is probably questioning Maven for the same reason I am.

Why do we have to get married?

I understand it's about Coriane, and I would do anything for her, go the ends of the earth and everything. But this seems so... sudden. Maven didn't talk about this at all.

"Maven!" Tiberius calls from behind me, spreading up and catching up to me.

He turns around this time. I guess he prefers his brother to me.

"What is it?" Maven asks, turning his torso to us.

"What do you think?" I tell him, scoffing. I cross my arms and lean my weight to my left side. When I fully see his face, I feel the rage now. I had a plan with Elane, one that he didn't know, mind you, and he wrecked it.

Maybe I could beg him to call it off, I am very convincing.

Maven sighs, slumping his shoulders as he does so. He looks determined and angry. His side glances go to Tiberius and not me, he looks at me like I am fine.

"Do we really have to get married?" Tiberius asks him, leaning his head towards him. Maven sighs again, his eyes closing. Based on his visage and his stature, I can tell he really doesn't want to be here or have this conversation.

"Yeah, you do, get over it, it's for Coriane," Maven demands with a stern tone. "Can we not have this conversation right now?"

I chuckle. "You know, Calore, it's funny how dumb you are, you announce this engagement out of nowhere and expect us to not have questions?" I cross my arms. Maven sighs again and runs his fingers through his overly geled hair.

"Right," He says with embarrassment, I can feel myself smile wickedly, but I keep it to myself.

Be better for Coriane.

"So, what's going on exactly?" Tiberius asks, obviously confused.

It's funny how dumb he is, too.