Chapter Eight

Ayame frowned as she looked up at the ninja stuck in her team's trap. If they had just given up their scroll, they wouldn't be dangling there, half-dead. Ayame just sighed as she handed the scroll to Hinata, her teammate smiling at her shyly.

All four of them instantly jumped back into the trees, running towards their destination since they had both the scrolls now. Ayame pouted when she realized she wouldn't fight. She had been looking forward to it. However, now Ayame's eyes widened and quickly dismissed the thoughts from her head. She was trying to change but her thoughts of constantly fighting and killing always found someway into her small head.

Ayame shook her head, dismissing the thoughts entirely. She groaned when she saw Kiba stop, a sheepish expression on his face.

"Sorry, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do." He went off into the trees, doing his stuff and came back, a smile on his face, eager filling his eyes.

"Ne, guys, what if we took more people's scrolls?!"

Ayame frowned at him, tilting her head as her hair fell in red curtains behind her back. "Why? We have both of ours so there's no point."

"It'll eliminate less competition, baka!"

Ayame huffed, crossing her arms across her chest and turning away from him. She was going to deny but Kiba was already leading Hinata and Shino away to where he saw two teams starting to fight. Ayame sighed but followed her teammates, her thoughts going elsewhere.

——————————————————-

Ayame caught up with her teammates about five minutes later, getting pulled down into a crouching position next to Kiba. She frowned even more when she saw Akamaru cuddled into Kiba's arms, shaking horribly.

Ayame looked up just in time to see boy kill three ninja by encasing them in sand and crushing them to death. Her eyes widened and she fell backwards, shaking her head. She got a strange feeling from the boy and she couldn't put her finger on it. She knew that he would kill her team if they tried confronting them.

Ayame started to back up when one of the boys looked over where her team sat. Ayame swore that she stopped breathing when he started walking over to where they sat, his eyes holding a certain look that Ayame knew all too well.

Ayame closed her eyes, listening to the sounds of the boy's footsteps getting closer and closer.

"Gaara! We've got our scrolls now, come on!"

Ayame opened one of her eyes, peeking out as she watched the boy walk back over to his teammates without sparing them a second glance. None of Ayame's teammates nor herself breathed until they were sure that he was gone.

"His aura. . .it was terrifying." Ayame muttered, holding her hands close to her heart.

Akamaru whimpered in agreement and even though no one else said anything, Ayame could tell that they agreed with her. Ayame forced a smile onto her face, deciding to try and make her teammates happy even if she wasn't herself.