Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Debts of the Past

"As happens sometimes a moment settled and hovered and remained for much more than a moment. And sound stopped and movement stopped for much, much more than a moment. And then the moment was gone."

- One Tree Hill

No, it wasn't a dream or hallucination or tiredness taking over. Erin Lindsay and Jay Halstead were actually facing each other, facing each other, eyes connected to each other. They were right there watching closely and watching every change that took place in three years and ten months. His eyes were fixed, so much so that he didn't have much vision around him. In this time when they are still, actually rooted to their places, they observe the changes these years have brought about, the frown lines that have been added to their foreheads and in the corners of their eyes. It was also visible in the corners of their mouths, but only when they smiled, but that was out of the question. Looking so much into each other's eyes they missed something. Sparkle, the sparkle was missing in Jay Halstead's eyes, there was sparkle in hers, but not the same before, it was different in a way he couldn't explain.

They didn't say anything, it didn't take long, there staring at each other without even wanting to break contact, it never felt like an eternity. They didn't come out of that trance until Marshall Sánchez decided to break all the tension built up in those few minutes.

- Sergeant Tucker and Lieutenant Lindsay... - If Voight wasn't surprised before, now he was. Upton turned his partner's attention to his ex-partner. Jay would have noticed their shock if he hadn't been in shock. FBI Lieutenant. Sánchez doesn't care and continues. - The Chicago intelligence unit and the SVU are on this new case with our team. -Sánchez knows a lot about Lindsay's life, not everything, but he recognizes the team. Tucker too, but he only touched himself when the Senior Director informed him.

- Eh... - He gasps and puts himself in the professional position. Also, he knows Lindsay needs some extra time. - Lieutenant Benson... - The tension was so much that they almost didn't notice the presence of three members of the SVU. In addition to Olivia, there were Tutuola and Rollins. He eventually closes in on the intelligence members. - Nice to meet you, SSA Nick Tucker. - He extends his hand to Voight.

- Sergeant Voight. -He greets back, but quickly his attention goes to Lindsay. Nick doesn't care and walks to the spot where the two other members are located.

- SSA Tucker. Is a pleasure. He holds out his hand and Hailey takes it, going professional again.

- Detective Hailey Upton. - She smiles sympathetically. - This is my partner...

- Detective Halstead! - He cuts her off, able to introduce himself. He and Nick face each other as their hands move up and down quickly before pulling away.

Now was the time when Tucker couldn't do much. It was Lindsay's turn to go into pro mode.

- Yeah... uh... Good morning! - She gives a shy and awkward smile to the three and looks at the SVU, Olivia looks at her and she smiles with her mouth closed waving that everything is fine. Even a blind man could see the tension and evidently it wasn't all right. Lindsay was nervous and didn't know what step to take, but luckily it wasn't necessary.

- Erin... - Voight approaches, smiling. - I missed you girl. - He hugs her. She is relieved that at least one of them is okay. She hasn't spoken to Hank since...

- So what do we have? - Tucker cuts off Lindsay's thoughts.

- We took a case, probable serial killer... - Benson tells. She watches Erin smile at Hank and pay attention to her.