~*~

"I think Kiyoko-san is going to make us dance," Keiji whispered. "Do we want to?"
"It wouldn't be like we have a choice," Kei whispered back. "I think they all want to see us out there."
"Why now?"
"Why, indeed."

The two of them shared a knowing look, and clasped their hands together. It was inevitable that they'd eventually have to dance in an actual performance, to show themselves publicly after so long. Maybe it was time; maybe they actually could. The troupe traveled far and wide, stopping at different cities and towns to perform. They were sort of like a traveling circus, only with dancers.

The biggest problem they had with joining this troupe was, they were the only two males amongst a bevy of females. Not that it mattered. Their exceptionally skilled dancing was what allowed them to stay, more so than the fact that neither of them had any sexual interest in the women. Kiyoko-san figured it out first, and then let the others know. After that, Keiji and Kei were fully accepted within their ranks.

Then, the troupe was larger than the nine that remained. But after several years, the troupe steadily grew smaller. Whether it was because they'd decided to retire for a more stationary life, or because they were enticed to travel with another troupe, one or two of their numbers would say a teary farewell, wish everyone staying behind good luck, and then they'd be gone to whatever new adventure awaited them.

Kei and Keiji remained. They'd grown fond of the ladies, and loved dancing with them during rehearsals. They helped get them dressed, put on make-up and place veils and headdresses. They were content to stay in the tent and look after their girls, as they'd come to call them. And yet, it always remained between them... why did they not perform publicly?

Kei would always defer to Keiji, who just told everyone they were happier behind the scenes. They weren't after publicity, and to be honest, no one watching the girls dance even captured their interest, so why bother? It wasn't the real reason, but it seemed to satisfy the ladies enough that they wouldn't ask. Though the question remained.

Apparently, they were going to dance tonight. And because they'd be expected to do their best, they couldn't make any tiny mistakes, either, to make them look imperfect. Not that they would, because neither wanted to let Kiyoko-san down. Or the others.

Keiji's hand tightened around Kei's. He was the one who worried a little more than Kei did.

"I'm sure the two visitors aren't from our past, Ji," Kei said calmly, using the beloved nickname. "We've been free for years. No one has even looked for us, and you know they'd have sent out their best to find us."
"I know, Kei. But I'll still worry."
"I know." Kei bent to gently kiss his cheek. "Maybe we should dance. Just this once."
"Alright."

Moments later, Kiyoko-san returned, and with a brilliant smile on her face. Kei squeezed Keiji's hand this time, weaving their fingers together. The only outward sign of his own nerves getting the better of him. This wasn't going to be anything more than a performance. In front of two men who they knew nothing about. Well, possibly. Until Kiyoko-san confirmed who their guests were, there'd be no telling if they'd be recognized or not.

"Our visitors are none other than Sheikh Kuroo and Emir Bokuto!" she exclaimed excitedly from just inside the tent flap doorway. "I met with their advisor, Nekomata, as well as the leaders of the other troupes, and they've all agreed to let us go last!"

The ladies all cheered, and began digging in their trunks for their best outfits. Clothes were strewn everywhere, but Kei and Keiji remained. Kiyoko-san's eyes drifted over her friends before they finally settled on them. Standing just a little straighter, she sauntered her way through a deluge of veils, silk garments, and gracefully ducked as a gold coin belt sailed overhead. She'd have resembled some sort of avenging goddess, if Kei were to think so fancifully of her.

When she settled in front of them, the rest had gone eerily silent. Both Kei and Keiji looked at her, and realized the rest were kneeling and watching them, too. With a long glance at each other, they waited for what they knew they'd hear next.

"I've decided that you two are going to dance," she said grandly. The others politely clapped. "You'll do the Swords Dance."
"But that means..." Keiji started to say.
"...we'll be the focus." Kei finished.
"You are right! We want everyone to know we have the best dancers!"
"But... What about Kaori?"
"And Mai?"
"They'll be dancing counterpoint. You both know this dance and what to do, yes?" Both of them nodded. "You'll be wonderful, I just know it!"
Kei narrowed his eyes. "Kiyoko-san? Why now? Why are you making us perform what will essentially be a duo, and take the focus off the others?"
Kiyoko drew herself up a bit. "I think it's time you show everyone what you're capable of. Time to show off your superior abilities..."
"But we aren't superior!" Keiji objected.
"We all know you two are far better than we'll ever be," she said ruefully, and they looked around to see everyone else nod their agreement. "That said, we aren't going to just go out there and wave our veils in the background. The Swords Dance may focus on the both of you, but you won't be alone. Got it?" Once they agreed, even reluctantly, she clapped her own hands sharply. "Ladies! We must make ourselves ready! We must look our best! A sheikh and an emir have deigned to grace us with their presence. Who knows if another opportunity will visit us again?"