46: We're Forever Part One

Start from the beginning

"Yay! Hero dada!" Tomohito said excitedly, jumping up and clapping his hands.

"You'll both be able to see him soon," I hugged them tightly, trying not to cry as I thought about my husband. "Now, lets open all these presents!"

As they were tearing off the wrapping paper of their new toys the doorbell sounded, and I knew it was my friend Kayano and her three year old who we'd invited over for the celebration. Mitsuha and Tomoihto knew exactly who it was so came with me to the front door, hugging Kayano's child, Ryunosuke. I hugged Kayano, knowing that I needed her now more than ever. "Are you alright?" She asked, concern in her tone as I let go. I smiled sadly but nodded, watching as the three children ran back into the lounge to play with their new toys.

Kayano and I headed to the kitchen just beyond the lounge, it being an open plan space meaning we could still see the kids. I made us each a cup of coffee but found my hands trembling as tears came to my eyes, thinking about my husband. "Hey- hey you're not okay, (y/n) what's wrong?" She asked quietly to prevent the kids from hearing us. She took the kettle and coffee from my hands and pulled me in for another hug.

"I'm sorry Kayano... it's nothing-,"

"It's not nothing. Tell me," she said soothingly, us pulling away from each other and sitting on the bar stool at the island.

"I think Shoto and I might be getting a divorce," I whispered and Kayano's mouth fell open.

"W-what? Why?" She asked quickly.

"All we do is fight, last night I begged him to stay for the twins' birthday but he refused, he could've at least stayed the night, seen them open their gifts and headed off this morning! A-and we've been fighting so much, arguing over the smallest of things... sometimes he leaves the house all night and I... I think he goes to see another girl. Sometimes I smell perfume on him when he gets back," I mumbled, having to bite my lip to stop a sob escaping.

"Oh (y/n)... I was there at your wedding, he was so in love with you-,"

"That was four years ago," I said and Kayano sighed.

"Listen, just because you two are fighting doesn't mean he doesn't love you," she said.

"B-but what about the perfume? If he does still love me, why is he seeing someone else?" I asked, my lip quivering.

"You don't know for certain that he is. It'll be difficult for you to see it, but I think the two of you just need a break from your lives. You need to go away somewhere, I'll look after Mitsuha and Tomohito for you," she said, holding my hand.

"I-I doubt he'll say yes... if he wasn't willing to stay for the twins' birthday then I doubt he'd be willing to go away somewhere for a few days," I mumbled and she smiled sadly.

"You won't know until you try," she whispered. I nodded, wondering if she was right. I came to the conclusion that it was worth a try - it was probably the last thing that could save our marriage.

"Okay I'll... I'll try it."

- Timeskip -

I stood at the porch as the door unlocked, my husband stepping inside. There was a somewhat solemn look on his face, but that was replaced with slight surprise when he saw me standing there waiting for him. "W-welcome home," I said with as much of a smile as I could. "I've made you some cold soba... if you're hungry."

"You don't like cold soba," he said and I nodded, looking at the floor to avoid eye contact.

"I-I know I just thought... I just thought you'd like some... if you've not already eaten," I mumbled, twiddling my fingers together. The silence was awkward but as I finally glanced up at him there was still a look of shock on his face.