Chapter 6

"What is your purpose here."

I stare back at him. I am here because he kidnapped me. What other purpose could I possibly have. I raise an eyebrow at him in response.

"I said," he moves the blade towards my throat "What is your purpose here." He leaves a little space between each word.

I give him a little shrug.

"Speak." He shouts.

"What do you mean what I am to doing here! You are the ones that kidnapped me."  I cover my mouth. I should not have spoken again. I do not need any more bad luck.

"You see. Right there is why you look suspicious, little siren. If you had nothing to hide, than why would you cover your mouth." A couple of tears start to run down my face.

"It is because of the curse!" I shout. He removes the sword from my throat and the tears are now like a waterfall running down my face. He seems shocked by my reaction.

"You are quite the actress lass. But you are not fooling me. I know for a fact that you are not cursed." I interrupt him while he is in the middle of whatever explanation he is trying to give me.

"No, no it's true. I was cursed by a witch when I was a baby. If someone hears me speak or if I go into the ocean, I bring terrible luck to the whoever hears or sees me." I can not stop all of this from coming out. I just keep talking. It is like the lifetime of frustration has finally reached its max.

"That's why I am here now! I spoke to Aiden and I got kidnapped by pirates. Then I fell into the water and I turn into some weird fish! I am just an ugly monster." I bury my face into my hands.

The captain kneels in front of me and rubs the tears from my eyes with his thumb. He caressed both my my cheeks with his hand and speaks to me in a soft tone.

"I don't know who told that to you but I promise you are not cursed."

My crying eases up a little with the sound of his comforting voice.

"You meet my mage Arianna"  he continues to stroke his thumb across my cheek. I give him a little nod.

"Well, she reported to me after your checkup and there were no traces of dark magic. So, it is not possible that you are cursed." There is no way. He must be mistaken. There is no way that I would have been lied to for all these years.

"Is it possible that she is mistaken?" I ask.

"Highly unlikely. Arianna's speciality is dealing with curses and dark magic. If anyone were to recognize a curse it would be her."

"How would that explain the fish tail then? Normal not cursed humans don't grow tails."

The captain's eyes scan across my face, then he looks at me directly in the eyes for several seconds.

"Do you really." He begins to whisper quietly to himself and gives a little a little sigh.

"You are not a regular human." He says slowly as though he is explaining something to a toddler. "I believe you are a siren."

I have never heard of such a thing. Grandmother prevented the talk of magical creatures in the household. She said that it allowed bad energy to enter the premises. Though I am sure it was probably also made up like the curse.

"What sort of sick game were they playing with you." He runs the back of his hand along the edge of my face.  "No wonder you looked so decrypted when you first came in here. They were keeping a fish out of water."  He chuckles a bit to himself at his own joke.