Chapter Ten - Home Is Where the Frost Is

Hiccup

The sun was setting again. Jack's favorite time of day, I noted to myself.

After a pause, I got up from my chair, and walked to my large window. It looked out at the forest behind my house. I pressed my forehead to the cool glass, taking deep, unsteady breaths.

Without Jack, things had been boring. No, that was an understatement and a blatant lie. Things had been numb, cold, and quiet.

I ate hardly anything - after all, I wasn't hungry.

I socialized as little as possible. Everyone reminded me of Jack, and that hurt too much.

My dad had tried his best to coax me into something productive - to pull me out of my protective haze. He had been unsuccessful. Although his concerned glances, periodic check-ups on me when I locked myself in my room, and frequent attempts to get me to eat or get up and go outside did make my heart warm and fuzzy, that didn't mean I was ready to get over myself yet.

I had become attached to Jack in the worst - and best - way possible. He made my stomach tie itself in excited knots, my heart skip beats everywhere, and a smile was constantly on my lips when I was with him.

I thought I had loved Astrid; but Jack made me realize it had simply been a pressured mirage. Everyone wanted us to date. So we did.

But with Jack...

With Jack, our love was raw and true and strong. It would have lasted, had I not ruined everything.

I was plunging into the cold memories again. But it was okay. It was better to live in your past - your happy, happy past - than to live in the present, because the present hurt too much. Needles pierced through your heart at the mention of anything that could be even slightly related to Jack. Not even your dragon could pull you out of this spiraling, cold, lonely void.

My lip trembled and my vision began to become clouded and blurry. The familiar feeling of tears welling up, threatening to spill...

And this time, I let them. I hit the window with my fist, and the salty water tumbled over the edge and onto my cheek.

I felt the tear's hot trails against my face, and I clenched my teeth together to hold back the sob that racked through my body.

More tears came. They eagerly pooled in my green eyes and flooded down my cheeks.

I don't know how long I stood there, against the window, blinded by the tears caused from my dumb ass mistakes. Wishing I could be anyone but Hiccup Haddock, the absolute fuck up.

- - -

Tap tap

Tap tap tap

"Go away.."

Tap tap tap tap tap

"Go away!" I groaned, sinking to the floor and away from the unnecessarily noisy window.

"Hiccup!" Although it was muffled from the layer of glass, I knew that voice. I'd know that voice anywhere.

I lifted my head and slowly, carefully stood up again.

When I brought myself to open my eyes, the only thing I saw at the window was my reflection. Puffy, red eyes from crying; scrawny auburn hair from leaning my head against a window for a couple hours, and my nose a deep red from sniffling.

The spark that I had lit in my green eyes died out as soon as it had come.

Oh. So there wasn't actually anyone at the window.

I turned around, away from what must have been a hallucination, and began trudging my way to my bed.

"Hic-CUP!!" The voice shouted once more, except now there was no muffled sound to it. I jumped in delighted shock, and turned to see my beautiful hallucination.

There stood Jack, breathing heavy, a few stray snowflakes tangled in his perfectly tousled white hair. He looked amazing. A light rouge dusted his pale cheeks and the tip of his nose.

I smiled at him. "It's beautiful what minds can create, isn't it?" I murmured, mostly to myself.

I stepped forward to give my hallucination a better look. It seemed that my mind had created him flawlessly - every curve, every angle of his body was sculpted just as perfectly as it was on the real Jack.

Except...

Except something was wrong.

I stepped closer, to get an even better look at him, and that was when I realized.

His jacket hung off his shoulders too loosely. His collarbones jutted too far out of his chest. His eyes were sunken in and his cheekbones were visible. His pants no longer tightly fit his legs, but hung off of him as if they were straight-legged instead of skinny.

I knit my eyebrows. All this time, he had said nothing. He had just silently stared back, inspecting me, too, I suppose.

"Jack?" I whispered. This was no hallucination. I don't think my mind would have dared to create a Jack Frost as sickly as this one was.

No, this was the actual Jackson Overland Frost; the boy who had stolen my heart and then run away with it.

"Hiccup." He breathed.

We stood there and stared at one another for a moment before both he and I stepped forward, and met each other in our open arms.

I felt safe again.

I felt protected in his cold embrace, and I knew, there was no way I'd ever give him reason to leave me again.