Chapter 29

Early the next morning, Yu Tu officially returned to work at the research institute. He first went to Professor Zhang's office. Professor Zhang very early on was well aware of the situation of his return. His expression showed no excitement and he even somewhat gave Yu Tu the cold shoulder.

He was sitting behind his desk and flipping through a feasibility study report. "No matter how I persuaded you, you wouldn't listen. However with just one phone call from Lao (meaning Old – prefix used before the surname of a person to indicate affection or familiarity) Hu, you even went to Xi'an and were also willing to come back? Am I your teacher or is he your teacher?"

The old man looked displeased, but Yu Tu knew that he was not really angry. Yu Tu lowered his voice and explained, "It has nothing to do with Hu Suo. In Xi'an... I thought things through."

"You've really thought things through?" Professor Zhang closed the report that he was flipping through, massaged the space between his eyebrows, and put away his earlier pretension. "Old Hu asked you to go back to work right after you came back from Xi'an but you didn't agree. Was it not because you still have some doubts?"

He sighed and said, "Don't take what I said last time to heart. Afterwards, I thought carefully about it. The environment you are facing now is different from ours. During our time, it was difficult, but which industry and which profession isn't? Everyone was in the same situation, so everyone was of one heart. We didn't feel there were any differences between us. It is different now. The cost of living for young people is higher. The difference between industries is large, so how can people's hearts not change? It's only human nature that they do change. What I said last time was divorced from reality and human feelings. For that, I want to apologize to you."

Yu Tu was somewhat touched, "Teacher..."

Professor Zhang waved his hand to interrupt him. "Thus I will be understanding of all your choices. No matter how you choose, you are still my student. However, if you come back but still have doubts and hesitation in your heart, you actually won't be able to do anything well."

He asked again, "You've really thought things through?"

These were the words he had spoken, but in the face of such prudent inquiry from his teacher, Yu Tu inexplicably thought of something other than work...

He avoided giving a direct reply and said in a low voice, "I will put all my heart into my work."

Professor Zhang was pleased and nodded. "That's good. Our aerospace team is getting younger and younger. Last year, over in Beijing, someone only 35 years old became the chief engineer. I hope that you will work hard in this direction."

After speaking to this point, Professor Zhang thought of something and asked, "Why did Guan Zai suddenly fall ill? Is it serious?"

Yu Tu paused for a while and said, "He said it isn't serious and told me repeatedly to tell the colleagues not to go and visit him."

"That guy's temperament is like that." Professor Zhang put his heart at rest. "Then all of you shoulder a little more of his work. You can go ahead and get busy."

Yu Tu nodded and was just about to go out when the old man stopped him again.

"The female star I met last time is actually not bad, and what she said did have some reasonableness..." The old man coughed. His expression was a little uncomfortable, but he quickly put up the attitude of a strict teacher, like a father. "You should also be considering marriage, which is an important event in your life. I think she is pretty good. You have to put in more effort... OK, you can go now."

Yu Tu did not move. He was quiet for a while, then looked up at his teacher. It was like he was asking him, it was also like he was asking himself: "Teacher, on what basis can I?"