44: Love in Bloom

Start from the beginning

I kept an eye on him, glancing up at him to see him browsing, picking up the flowers with such delicacy that it made me smile. He gently sniffed them, smiling to himself before placing them back in their buckets. It was a moment before I realised that I was staring at him, so I quickly turned my attention back to my task.

"Excuse me, would you be able to make me another bouquet?" He suddenly asked making me jump. I turned quickly and nodded, picking out a few flowers that I didn't use in his last one.

"Did they die?" I asked quietly as I brought a handful of flowers back to the counter.

"Hm?"

"Your last bouquet, did they die?"

"No, I'm looking after them, don't worry," he said with a charming smile and I gulped. "Why do you ask?"

"M-most people replace dying flowers with new, young and pretty ones... instead of actually looking after them," I told him.

"I just thought they looked really good, so I wanted to get more," he said and hearing this warmed my heart.

"O-okay... here," I passed him the finished product and he handed me the money, saying his farewell before exiting the shop. I was still having difficulty figuring out where I had seen him, it being on the tip of my tongue.

- Timeskip -

The man had come into the shop many times since the first two, asking after bouquets and feed for the flowers. He was kind and gentle, and he made me feel comfortable. I smiled in his presence which was something I rarely did around anyone. Each of his visits lasted longer and longer, yet I still didn't know his name. We'd spend a while chatting, he'd ask me for advice on how to care for the many flowers he now had and he'd be on his way.

I knew he was good-looking, and the way we spoke so calmly with each other made me develop tiny feelings for him, not that I wanted to admit it. Besides, he already had a wife - what man would consistently buy flowers every few days and not have a woman in their life to give them to?

"Hello," he announced himself and I couldn't help but smile.

"Good morning," I bowed politely. "Another bouquet?"

"Yes please, a mixture of reds if you have them," he said and I nodded happily. He followed me around the shop, pointing out the various flowers he liked until we finally had a full bouquets worth. As I began to build it up I thought about who would end up holding my beautiful creations and I sighed to myself. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"Y-yeah... you're wife must love getting these flowers from you," I said and his eyes widened.

"Oh, I don't have a wife," he chuckled.

"Oh, sorry, your husband must love getting these flowers-,"

"No, no I don't have anyone like that, I'm single," he interrupted me and I felt my cheeks heat up dramatically out of embarrassment.

"S-sorry-,"

"No it's okay," he laughed, pulling out the money from his wallet.

"Y-you've been coming into the shop a while now and I realise I... I don't even know your name," I said with as much confidence as I could, however he looked shocked.

"You don't know me?" He asked, surprise laced in his voice.

"We've never introduced ourselves officially," I defended but he still seemed shocked. "I'm (y/n) (l/n)... you can call me (y/n)."

"I'm Shoto Todoroki," he said, apparently waiting for a reaction so I just smiled. "Call me Shoto."

"It's a pleasure to officially meet you... and sorry for the assumption earlier," I mumbled and he wafter his hand.