Explosions and Sneezes

Bagsy tip-toed her way to the highest, and furthest back, seat in the Charms classroom. The Charms room was an impressive one – it was long and rectangular with a high, arched ceiling. A walk way stood in the middle, flanked on each side by rows of benches that climbed higher the further back they went.

Bagsy sat nervously, fiddling with her text book and wand as the class waited for Professor Starrett to enter. With a sinking heart, Bagsy heard the click-clack of Professor Starrett's high heels as she approached the classroom. She also heard the professor speaking with someone. When Starrett entered with Primrose Vinski, Logan Mattson and Rebekah Grossman walking at her side Bagsy's stomach sank even further.

Mezrielda eyed the group curiously, holding her wand next to her ear she whispered, 'Eavesculto.' Bagsy could hear a fuzzy repetition of whatever conversation Starrett and the three students were having echoing just next to Mezrielda's ear, too far away from her own ears to make sense of it. Primrose wasn't speaking, her arms were crossed and, if anything, she looked annoyed that they were walking alongside a professor. Rebekah, though, was hurriedly murmuring to Starrett.

Bagsy sat in silence as a pensive look fell over Mezrielda's face as she listened into the conversation, before her expression became worried. 'Rebekah saw you put the wand training wheel on-' Mezrielda rushed out urgently, but it was too late.

'Miss Beetlehorn,' Starrett called out loudly as Primrose, Rebekah and Logan found their seats. Rebekah shot Bagsy a triumphant look, Primrose shot her a glare and Logan simply got out his work for the lesson. 'Care to join me in front of the class?'

'May we start the lesson instead of picking on students?' Mezrielda shot back. The third years, who had all assembled for the double Charms lesson, muttered eagerly to each other at the approaching conflict. Bagsy swore she saw two Gryffindors, and tall boy and a girl with her ginger hair in a bun, pull popcorn out.

'I'll start the lesson once I've ensured no one is endangering the class. Miss Beetlehorn to the front. Now.' Starrett's tone left no room for argument. Mezrielda shot Bagsy an apologetic look as she made her way down. Her legs felt like they were magnetized to the floor each step was so difficult.

She came to a stop in front of Professor Starret. The woman had only been a head taller than Bagsy in her first year, given how short she was. Bagsy felt some solace that, were Starrett not wearing her severe high-heels, she would now be taller than her.

Professor Starrett walked around Bagsy in a circle, her red and gold robes like a matador's cape. 'If you really wanted a wand-training wheel you should have asked me. Then again, you're evidently still labouring under the pretence of being a poor spellcaster, trying to convince the world you are incompetent at magic,' Professor Starrett said, abruptly snatching Bagsy's wand out of her hand and holding it up for the class to see. 'What we have here, students,' Starrett explained, 'is a rudimentary attempt at a wand-training wheel by someone who has no clue what they are doing. Such meddling with complicated magical processes is incredibly dangerous and foolish.' Starrett held the wand out to Bagsy. 'Give us a demonstration of your stupidity, if you would,' she instructed.

Bagsy hesitantly took the wand from Starrett's hand. Starrett took a number of steps backwards and Bagsy found herself taking a fearful gulp of air.

'Cast lumos,' Starrett informed her after a long stretch of silence. 'If you can be bothered to stop this pathetic, incapable act of yours, that is.'

Bagsy sucked in another breath and decided to get it over with. She squeezed her eyes shut, waved her wand, and spoke the incantation. 'Lu-!'

She was cut off by a loud bang as she was thrown backwards and onto the floor, feeling a sharp pain in her chest like a massive balloon was trying to force its way out of her ribcage, threatening to snap her bones as it did. The wind knocked from her, Bagsy looked up at the ceiling with wide, confused eyes. The impact had been oddly soft, and she was numbly aware that, in the split second she'd been thrown backwards, Starrett had softened the hard stone she'd been heading towards. The pain in her ribcage grew, like a giant stone was trying to burst out of her flesh, but with a few spells from Starrett it faded, and Bagsy let out a breath of relief.