Hygge

Wednesday, September 15th, 2021

"I think we should leave the pistachio buns; it was definitely the fan-favorite last year." Reasoned Michelle in favor of the sweet pastry.

On this glorious, sunny day, I've chosen to spend my time going through the upcoming winter menu of my coffee shop with the pastry chef and manager of the place. Even though I invested in this place almost four years ago, it was only the second time that I was actually able to participate in the creation process of the menu actively. Until the last summer menu, I have always just approved what my dear employees put together, but as I suddenly have more control over my time, I definitely wanted to be here for it.

"Okay, you convinced me. Pistachio is staying. " I sighed. I never understood why people like pistachio, but I can't take it away from them just because I disagree with their taste. "But I want the Swedish Cardamom Buns this year then. People will realize that it is way better than pistachio."

"If you say so, boss." Kris, the pastry chef, grinned at me and I simply rolled my eyes at him. Since I returned to NYC, I've been a more regular visitor of the place, and I even work from here on occasions. After they got over the initial uneasiness of having me here, they began to enjoy teasing me. Kris quickly understood that I hated it when they referred to me as their boss. If I'm anything, I'm an investor; I don't run the business at all; Michelle does.

"Kris, I will seriously fire you," I murmured while sipping on my Chai Latte.

"You will not fire me. Who would make your favorite Swedish Cardamom Buns then?" He teasingly replied while nodding towards the pastry he prepared for us to try.

"Michelle, can you find another pastry genius in a day?" I looked at her expectantly.

"I am sorry to disappoint, but we need to keep him, Avery." She seemed amused by our exchange. "He is a diva but the best diva in the pastry world."

"That's me, bitch." He posed, and I couldn't take it anymore and started to laugh.

This place was one of the first investments I made once we began earning actual money with Potluck in 2017. I had always wanted to build a safe space for the LGBTQ+ community, and this coffee shop became much more than I could have envisioned. It didn't take long for the community to learn about the location and turn it into a key meeting spot for any sort of event, from cozy book clubs during the winter to cool concerts in the summer. It also meant that the place became self-sustaining within half a year, and I was able to make it even more meaningful by opting to concentrate on recruiting LGBTQ+ individuals, particularly those in need.

After our little discussion, we got back to work for the next hour or so, and although we were able to agree on most of the beverages and meals, we decided to do another tasting in a few weeks to finalize the last few options. We always prioritized quality over quantity and only sold a limited type of goods each season.

After Michelle left to train one of our new staff and Kris had to get back to his fresh batch of cookies, I made the decision to continue working from here. After working from the same office every day for four years, it was a breath of fresh air to be able to work from various locations across the city. I did make occasional trips to the office I was renting in New York City, but I really appreciated the freedom that came with being a digital nomad in that way.

I was in the middle of reading the business plan of a 3D printing specialized startup when I heard the all-so-familiar laugh. I instantly looked in the direction of that sound, and I noted with satisfaction that life was doing its job. It was indeed Cari Fletcher standing in line with her best friend, Alexis. As I was sitting on the other side of the bar, they couldn't see me yet. I waved at Jo, one of the more experienced baristas.