BUBBLE, BUBBLE AND TROUBLE

Challenge No. 77 - What's in the Cauldron?

Write a piece inspired by a potion.

-----

This was a Tourist Tour like no other. First, it was taking place in the dead of night and second, the Tour Guide, Tara was insisting that everything she said was true*!!

"In September 1903, three men from the Monchy area of Saint Lucia, got together to acquire a young boy for the purposes of Obeah. A child that they could sacrifice to the Devil in order to obtain financial wealth. The three men were: Montoute Edmond, St Luce Leon and Edgar St. Hill."

"They put their money together and Edmond Montoute went to Barbados in search of a child that they could sacrifice. The men figured that it was necessary to get the child from another island; because if they stole one in Saint Lucia that child would be missed, and people would go looking for the lost one. They would never stop looking."

"They found Rupert Mapp, a thirteen-year-old Barbadian, and promised him employment in Saint Lucia as an errand boy."

"On the night of 29th September 1903; the three men murdered the thirteen-year-old by strangling him. Edmond Montoute was a licensed butcher, and he proceeded to cut out the heart and cut off the hands at the wrist. Slaughtered him like some cow, or goat or sheep."

"Meanwhile, the family in Barbados had reported the disappearance of young Mapp. In no time, the men were arrested. In the short period of time that the boy had been in the community, he had made an impression. You see, he was an English speaker in a Creole-speaking community, but also, he had that heavy Bajan accent."

"The police searched Montoute's house where they found the body parts in a skillet as well as a bloody rag, two serpents' skins, five pieces of bone, a portion of sulphur in rock and powdered form, and a phial containing a dark liquid and, in his bag, a manuscript in French."

"They were seeking to create Les Mains De La Gloire - the Hands of Glory - an Obeah ritual which is supposed to make a person invisible. Which involved some sort of potion for which the poor boy's body parts were essential."

"They were arrested, tried for the murder found guilty and before Christmas 1904 they were all hanged."

"So why are we here? Because they were hanged in this very courtyard and no one wasted a hole for them. They committed the crime together; they were found guilty together, were hanged together and buried together. The three men were all placed in one hole." Tara ended the awful story.

"Is it the wind we hear? Or is it the lamentations of Louis Elie, Montoute Edmond, St Luce Leon and Edgar St. Hill? I'm not staying to find out!" She teased and headed for the door. Everyone scrambled after her.

© May 2018

Taken from the Creepy, Creepy Tour ISBN: 978-976-656-072-0

* The story is true and can be found at the Saint Lucia National Archives in the newspapers of the day.

===

https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks for longer stories.