Green eyed monster - Part 1 - Scott x Reader

Scott made his way to the tower. Stark was always throwing one party or another. For one reason or another. And who was he to say no to a good night out? Scott always happy to get involved in anything that might cost Tony Stark, money. Not as though the billionaire didn't have enough money to splash around for several lifetimes, but still. For Scott, it was the principal. Though the only thing that he wasn't looking forward to, was seeing (Y/n). No, strike that. He wanted to see (Y/n). Needed to see (Y/n). What he didn't want to see, was the woman that he was in love with, in the arms of Steve I'm so wonderful and everyone loves me Rogers.

It wasn't that he didn't respect Steve. It wasn't that he didn't admire Steve. It wasn't that he didn't feel in awe of Steve. Because he did all those things. Scott cringing as he remembered all the times that he had made a fool of himself in front of the old soldier. But what he didn't like was the fact that whenever he was on a mission with the rest of the team. Whenever he was at the compound. (Y/n) and Steve were always together. Yet it was how the captain and (Y/n) interacted that really annoyed him. The two seeming to always be laughing, as if they sat right next to one another. Bucky appearing to be the only other one that could understand what was being said between the pair. It was the way that they looked at one another. The way they protected one another. The way that they would disappear and go for "runs" together that seemed to take hours, and would always wear casual clothes and carrying bags whenever they left.

It wasn't that Scott could see what (Y/n) saw in Steve any way. Oh hell, who was he kidding. It was more than obvious what (Y/n) saw in Steve. He was Steve Rogers. Captain America. The Captain America. America's sweetheart. America's ass. He was brave, loyal. A super soldier. A living Adonis that could make any Calvin Klein underwear model feel inferior in comparison. He had so much to offer (Y/n). And what was he in comparison? A dead beat ex-con, with one failed marriage under his belt. A goofy sense of humour and a funny suit. Not much to brag about, he had to admit. But he had decided. He had watched in silence for too long. He had tortured himself since (Y/n) had joined the team. And now he wasn't going to do it any longer. Tonight, he was somehow going to tell (Y/n) how he felt. He was going to finally get all this off his chest. And if the worst came to the worst. If (Y/n) laughed in his face, or Steve took offence to his declaration of love, then he would know that he had to forget about (Y/n) and get out of Dodge quickly, before the old soldier made him regret saying anything. Now all he had to do was get to the party and come up with a way of expressing all his feelings to (Y/n).

                                                         >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) looked at herself in the mirror. She was sure that it had taken longer than normal for her to get ready. But tonight, she wanted to be as perfect as possible. Because if she could finally pluck up the courage to tell him how she felt, she wanted to remember every detail of this night. She wanted it to be a memory that they could share for the rest of their lives. A moment to never forget. But there was a big difference between wanting that and getting that. A big difference between wanting to tell him, and actually telling him.

She couldn't help but think that the whole thing was ridiculous. She wasn't the nerdy weird kid anymore that wanted to ask the high school hunk out to the prom. She was an Avenger. She could face being shot at. She could face killer robots, aliens and Hydra. She could fearlessly spar with super soldiers. Go head to head with the greatest of archers, and deadly assassins. She could slap Iron Man around the back of the head whenever he got a little too suggestive. But what she couldn't do. What she really couldn't do, was tell Scott Lang that she was in love with him.

With a heavy sigh, (Y/n) dropped into the chair behind her. Why did everything have to be so hard? Why did Scott have to be so damn wonderful? Why did the mere thought of him make her heart flutter like the wings of a hummingbird? Why did his goofy grin have to light up a room, and his dumb dad jokes make her laugh? Why did that mischievous twinkle in his eyes make her feel weak at the knees? Why, why, why? Damn you Mother Nature for fashioning a specimen that was so utterly perfect.

With another heavy sigh, (Y/n) slumped further into the chair, hoping that the overstuffed padding that surrounded her, would somehow swallow her whole. It wasn't that she didn't want to go to the party, far from it. She had always enjoyed the billionaire's needless celebrations. It was a time for her and the rest of the team to relax and unwind. A time to think about something other than missions and anything else that the world threw at them. A time when they could just be themselves, not their alter egos. And it was a time to just enjoy the company of the others that she had come to see as family, had come to love. But most of all, it was time that she could spend with Steve.

If anyone had told her, when she was still the weird outsider at school, that could do things that no one else could. That one day she would come to see Steve Rogers, Captain America, as the brother that she had never had, she would have laughed and been looking for the persons straight jacket and the men in white coats to come and take them away. Yet here she was, dressed for a function at the Avengers compound, waiting for the captain to come and knock on her door, and escort her to the party.

(Y/n) would freely admit that if it hadn't been for Steve, and Bucky too, she wasn't sure whether she would even still be there. In the beginning, it had all seemed too fanciful to be real. All a little too much. It was strange coming face to face with Iron Man every morning. The billionaire calling her sweetheart as he poured her a coffee. Nat and Clint had scared her when she had first met them. And Bruce, well, even though she adored him now, seeing the mild mannered, and sweet doctor turn into the big green one, was one hell of an experience. And Thor and Loki were, well they were Thor and Loki. What else need she say. But Steve and Bucky had always been her support. The two old soldiers almost holding her hands as she took her first tentative steps towards becoming one of them. To becoming an Avenger. Her admiration and love for Steve, in particular, growing as they discovered that they shared a love of art. The two often going off and spending hours just talking and drawing, away from the compound. Steve telling her about his life before the war. About him changing for the from the scrawny sick kid to Captain America. The old soldier even teaching her the secret language that he and Bucky had used when they were kids, so that they could talk to one another when they were with the others. The three using the special code to laugh about something Tony had done. Or in Bucky's case, complain about how annoying Sam was being.

Suddenly a knock came to her door. A small smile pulling at her lips as she slowly got to her feet and straightened her dress. (Y/n) wanting to look as good for her dashing surrogate brother, as she did the object of her affections.

"Come on in, grandpa." (Y/n) called out with a chuckle. Her smile growing wider as Steve poked his head around the door.

"I may be old enough to be your grandpa, young lady. But I don't look like it. Or at least I hope a don't." Steve replied jokingly. Smiling himself as he saw (Y/n).

"Wow, doll. You look.......well you look wonderful." Steve complimented, as he took (Y/n)'s hand and looked her up and down.

"Thanks Steve. Do you really think so? I don't know. Maybe I should change the dress. It might be a little much. I don't want him thinking.........."

"(Y/n). Stop worrying. You look amazing. I don't think that Lang would mind if you were at this party in a sack cloth. And I can promise you one thing. I'll be there for you all night. And if he doesn't say anything to you tonight, then he is either blind or stupid. But either way, if he says no, at least you'll know that he's not the man for you." Steve interrupted, as he pulled (Y/n) in for a hug.

(Y/n) had of course told him all about how she felt for the ex-convict. And despite a few reservations on his part, Steve had seen the look in her eyes whenever she spoke about Lang. And so, Steve had done all he could to try and talk to Scott about her. Steve only wanting the best for the young woman that seemed to have had as difficult a childhood as he had. A young woman that he had come to see as the sister that he had never had. Yet whenever Steve would raise the subject of (Y/n) around Scott, the usually jovial Lang would grow quiet and sullen. Quickly making his excuses to get up and leave. But tonight, was going to be different. Tonight, he was going to ensure that Scott listened to either (Y/n) or himself. And even if (Y/n) told him how she felt and didn't get the response that she wanted, at least she would know. And he and Bucky would be there to pick up the pieces and help her move on.

"So, you ready?" Steve asked as he offered her his arm.

"As ready as I'll ever be, Cap." (Y/n) replied, as she took his arm. The pair of them making their way out of the room and up to the festivities.