1

It is every girl's dream to be a princess. Princesses are pleasant, princesses are kind, princesses are always protected by a knight in shining armour. Then, when their prince decides to gallop by on a white horse, they will receive a true love's kiss and live the rest of their life in a big shiny castle.

Well, that's what it's supposed to be like at least.

The clock strikes seven and bells the size of coconuts chime across my room. "Princess Anastasia! Your majesty, today is a big day!" cries the maid as she rushes in, already full of worry. I slowly sit up and stretch my arms.

"I know, I know!" I say, a big grin already plastered on my face. "Today is a wonderful day indeed!"

Then, in comes six servants with handfuls of clothes. I am ushered by one to quickly stand as she tries to, as gently as possible, take off my night gown with both speed and efficiency. The next one urges me into the bathroom. Frantically, she turns on the water and leaves the room, giving me only the instructions of, "Your Majesty, as much as I wish you a pleasant-ful and unrushed morning, please, do hurry."

The door is slammed into my face as she rushes outside to complete other tasks. I slowly turn my head towards the bathtub that's already overflowing with bubbles. Slowly, I take off my robe and slip in. The warm water immediately rushes into my body and drowns out the chilliness of the morning. I submerge my body. While every part of me seems to be relaxed, my heart won't calm down. Today is the day I will betrothed to the prince! It makes me so nervous I could puke! I have heard that the prince is handsome beyond measure. That his golden curls and bright blue eyes are able to make any girl fall in love. And of course, his name, Elliot, how gentleman like! Immediately my heart starts to bubble with excitement. The best part of this deal must be that he will be all mine. I am the lucky girl.

"Your majesty!" cries the maid as she rushes in. She halts at the door momentarily as she stares at my lovestruck expression.

"Oh dear," she sighs.

Everyone in that room knew that this was going to be a long day.

I feel two hands reach into the tub and lift me up. Immediately, she wraps a robe around me and dries me with a towel. Then, I am pushed towards a change room. I walk into the room shivering. But more importantly, before me stood the most beautiful dress I had ever seen in my life. Golden lace covered the beige gown. Red roses, freshly cut, decorated the collarbone area. Every inch of the fabric had been intricately sewed by hand. The maid comes around and dresses me. As she pulls the waist in, I spot myself in the mirror for the first time all morning. I see a girl with long, wavy brown hair and big green eyes. I see a girl who is about to be married. A girl who is doing what a true princess does.

Then as if all time had resumed back to its hasty pace, I am dragged all the way across my room to the makeup station. They put on peachy lipstick, darkened brows and nude eyeshadow.

"Is she going to make it?" cries the maid to the makeup artist in distress.

"Madame," he says in a calm voice, turning my chair around for everyone to see, "she is finished."

"Oh my goodness!" squeals the maid with relief. "You look amazing, Your Majesty!" I hear a few more murmurs among the crowd as another smile makes its way through my face.

Immediately after breakfast, which consisted merely of bread and eggs, I was rushed to the garden where an umbrella was given to me to shade myself from the sun that had by now risen high in the sky. I am seated in the centre of our rose garden and told to sit tall with a straightened back. After all, the prince could walk in any second. Then, satisfied with their work, the maids leave to go back into the house while I remain alone in the garden, waiting. With the guards around my safety is the last of their concern, but that doesn't change the fact that it is hot outside and my dress, as pretty as it is, is about as refreshing as a rotissery chicken.