Twenty-Three | Sleddin' and Smellin' Like a Snickerdoodle

Twenty-Three | Sloan

"So," Shelby began, "how long have you and Ollie been dating?"

I pressed my mitten-covered hands to my face and exhaled a heap of hot air into them to keep warm. The relief was short-lived. My fingers were freezing. I was uncomfortable standing here alone with Shelby and wished that Ollie would rescue me from this conversation. His mom had casually excused herself from the day's activities, claiming she had a headache, likely just wanting her kids to spend time together. I wasn't stupid. I knew Shelby had to be the girl that messed Ollie up, and now I could see why.

His own brother? Ouch.

"We aren't dating," I said, tugging at the oversized knit hat Ollie had lent me before he ran off with Mikah to retrieve sleds. My voice didn't sound sure of that statement, because I did not know what Ollie and I were doing.

Ollie kissed me, and my skin hadn't stopped buzzing since.

I could barely bring myself to look at the girl I knew Ollie was in love with. Shelby was ridiculously pretty—now recognizing her as the woman behind the bar at the Mulligan's Christmas party. Even though it was winter, Shelby's skin was a sun-kissed caramel color. Her bright blue eyes forced you to take notice, and her long blonde hair was perfectly curled and high in a ponytail. This was the type of girl who looked like she had her shit together, judging by the expensive UGG boots and the purple Canada Goose coat she was wearing.

So, this is Ollie's type? I wondered.

His mom was right...blonde. Not sure about the crazy part yet, other than I couldn't fathom how you could go from one brother to the next like Ollie meant nothing.

There was no way I could compare to the girl beside me. I was lucky if I could afford a pair of cheap mittens from a thrift shop, and I couldn't remember the last time I had actually spent the time to curl my hair. That wasn't even what was bothering me the most. It was how Shelby looked at Ollie that made me feel sick. For someone with a boyfriend, Shelby's focus was constantly on the man she left, and her reaction to me was that of a jealous girlfriend.

"Really?" Shelby asked, staring off towards the garage where the brothers had disappeared to. "But he brought you home for Christmas?"

"He was just being nice," I said, feeling the words sting. "I had a rough year and wasn't going to celebrate. Ollie felt bad."

Was the kiss out of pity? Was the gift? It felt real, and that realization terrified me. Feelings were brewing, and it seemed too soon. The sex was one thing—falling for Ollie was another. It hadn't been a year since Steve passed. I was treading unknown waters with Ollie. I didn't want the thought of gifts, the holiday season, or family to cloud my judgement.

"You're selling yourself short, Sloan." Shelby sighed, still staring at the garage. I knew we were both waiting for the same tattooed chef to appear. "I've known Ollie since I was fifteen. He doesn't bake, and he sure as hell doesn't go sledding. In fact, he hasn't been showing up for holidays at all. He's showing you off and proud of it. Not to mention, he can't keep his eyes off of you."

My cheeks flushed to a bright shade of red as soon as Shelby turned back to me, and it wasn't from the chilled air. Had he really brought me here to meet his family? To show me off? Did he like me as much as I liked him?

I knew how Ollie felt about Shelby, though, and that was telling me that Shelby had this wrong. Perhaps he was using me to make his ex jealous? I wanted to think more of him than that, especially since he had asked me out here and not the beautiful blonde who left him for his own kin.