Chapter Sixteen

The world shifted in colours of black, white and green. Rain pelted down from the skies and diluted the blood of the dead men lying before me, like small rivers of red running toward me, reaching out like lifeless tears.

Loki was standing above me his breath even as his twin daggers disappeared from his hands. He must have said something but I didn't respond, not until he knelt before me. I couldn't comprehend his words, not with the beat of the rain all around me and my thundering heart and the cold pressing in on my skin.

'Why did you do that?' My voice was a whisper.

'They touched you.' there was no hint of remorse in his tone.

I eyed him, completely entranced at the sight of him kneeling before me in the rain. His black hair was drenched and hanging around his chin, water running in rivulets down his straight nose. His eyes were blue fire circled with red and again I was shocked to see the cool pallor of his skin.

'You hate me.' I told him, shoving him backward by his chest but he did nothing, his brows only lowered as I raised my voice to be heard over the static rage of my mind and the pouring rain falling around us. eyes more

'You did this on purpose.' the moment the words came out, a heavy weight settled on my chest. My hands shot out again but Loki's own shot up too fast and caught my wrists and squeezed them tight. I tried to rip them from his grasp but his grip was like iron.

His breath was warm on my face as he hissed his words at me, a smirk danced upon his pink lips, 'Look at my power. Look at what I am capable of. Do you think what I have done has consequences?'

No. There wouldn't be, there never was. Short imprisonments, banishments which were quickly forgotten. Loki got away with the Battle of New York and near-decimating an entire city and its population and still my father was foolish enough to forgive but not forget.

Did he truly believe that because he had returned from death - that Thor had been left with his grief for Loki for so long - that he could get away with such vile actions? The world had ended and begun again but this time we were less forgiving, any threat was eradicated. It was a regret Thor had told me he and his friends had had when they had lost to Thanos.

Loki gave my wrists a tight squeeze as if he could feel me on the precipice of spiralling. My entire body trembled from the cold of the rain now settled onto my skin, even pooled around me I could feel the weight of my dress. A gift from Thor ruined.

'What did you want me to do?' Loki asked.

'Nothing?' I told him and felt my eyes well with unshed tears. I squinted my eyes so that no tears would fall. His form blurred in front of me, 'You didn't have to fucking do anything!'

'You wish I had not intervened, Evangeline? You wish I had let you fall to your death?' his chin jerked and again the blue of his irises bled to red, a common effect when he was angry.

'You're an idiot.' he exhaled lengthily and briskly stood so that I was staring at his shoes. I managed to shuffle to my feet though I struggled slightly to lift my dress with me. I could not escape him as a long look was shot my way, it made my stomach flutter, the intensity behind it although I couldn't begin to guess if it was lustful, rageful, playful or any other spectrum of emotions he was capable of acting out so well.

'You're making me one.' my voice wavered. I should have realised sooner how far into his bullshit he would drag me. He was near-immortal and bored. Loki thrived off of drama and the politics of emotions. I had known since first meeting him what fire he would set my world on, he wore the horns but I had imagined him in a glorious fucking halo.