Chapter Seven

I did what I did best. I retreated. Back to the lighthouse in solitude while I tried and failed to come up with a way to leave with Thor.

I couldn't do it. Maybe my quitting was brought on by being surrounded by my old things. I didn't want to wander into any more unknowns in my life, I wanted safety and security and I knew I should have put more faith in Thor. He was going to do his best to protect me I was sure of it.

So I would stay and sulk and gather my energy to stay and try and build a somewhat normal life. The silence of the lighthouse and wind pressing against the window pane had me drifting off into a deep sleep before I awoke later in the afternoon and decided to head down to the beach.

It was still warm and the beach was scattered with few other people. I stood facing the horizon with my toes wiggling in the sand and arms pressed tightly around myself. My loneliness felt bittersweet. I hadn't wanted to be bothered standing there in the heat of the sun, but at the same time I craved attention, someone to ask what I was - not how - standing there, woman, girl or prospective goddess.

I walked the stretch of the beach until I reached the small pier where several boats had docked, fishermen bringing in their nets and joking loudly with one another.

Curious as to what they had caught I found myself shifting closer, the smell of fish and salt strong and I wrinkled my nose and turned but smacked into someone. The front of my dress turned cold and wet, I let out a sharp gasp at the sight of blood and guts running down the front of the white cotton.

'Oh my god!' I tried to wipe most of it from my skin but my hands became coated and slick with it. I suppressed a gag but at the whiff of the smell, I let one out followed by a cough. My hands held out awkwardly in front of me.

The stranger holding the bucket let out a deep laugh.

'You've gotta watch where you're going.' He said and I couldn't even look at him as I focused upon the mess on my front and wanted to fling myself into the ocean. Though I didn't want to risk making myself shark bait.

'Is this blood?!' Not that I was someone who got faint at the sight of blood but as it coated my skin I swear I could feel it congealing and I wondered if it would leave a smell.

'Mainly fish guts. Don't worry it's not in your hair. The smell should go in a few days.'

My eyes widened at the stranger and I was met with a broad white smile and eyes sparkling with amusement. He placed the bucket by his feet and didn't bother hiding his laughter as he straightened with his hands held up as if in surrender. Probably because I looked like I might start screaming or crying.

'I'm kidding. I'm sorry. Can I help you clean it off?'

'No.' I replied and he dropped his hands still smiling at me, his hands in his pockets. We stared at one another, him with a hidden smile and me with a burning face and fingers itching to be washed.

I nodded, 'Yes, please actually.'

It's like he knew I would cave and turned to walk towards a tackle box sitting a little way away. He knelt down and scrambled through the box and began making small talk as I stood beside him.

'How are you finding New Asgard?' He asked.

'Fine.' I answered hoping he wouldn't supply me with more than a wet wipe or some water. I took the chance to look him over. He had a mess of brown hair which was beginning to grey. Though his neat beard wasn't grey, he was older than me by at least a decade, there were smile lines around his eyes and as he looked down I could see how dark his lashes were.