Chapter Two

Thor said nothing, he stalked past me on the beach and I was left staring at Loki, the very much alive God of Mischief.

He had only to look at me for a moment more, meeting my gaze with his questioning one before he stalked after Thor, his strides long to meet Thor's angry ones. I followed, not sure of what else to do or where to go, supposing Thor was heading back to the palace.

'I assume that you're angry with me, dear brother.' Loki said speaking to Thor, 'But can you not admit you are also happy to see me?'

Thor said nothing, let out a gruff mock of laughter and continued to stalk down the beach. I was able to keep up with the two of them and within earshot to hear Loki's words to Thor as he turned to walk backwards so that he could face Thor as he spoke,

'I have my reasons. You can't say you aren't impressed that I managed to fake my death, nonetheless convinced Thanos of it-'

Thor stopped walking and tossed Stormbreaker to his side where it landed heavily in the sand. Thor's hands were on Loki, grasping his shirt tightly as he grated out his words,

'What part of this is humourous to you, Loki? Asgard has been destroyed, our friends lost their lives to fight for the Nine Realms and you return after it all to think I wish to welcome you back with open arms? Not this time.'

Though he had finished speaking, Thor did not let go of Loki whose own long fingers pried Thor's hands from him. His face grew serious, leaning into Thor with a deep-set frown as he spoke,

'What do you think would have happened if I had returned?'

'You could have helped,' Thor said and shook his head at his brother. 'You could have not been so selfish.'

'Yes well, you and your costumed friends seemed to have managed well enough.' Loki said, crossing his arms over his chest, throwing a look in my direction. I had thought he would continue to ignore me but he moved past Thor to hone in on me. Thor turned his entire body to watch Loki, his eyes narrowed and untrusting.

I wondered if it was a distraction from Loki, to put the focus on me and keep it away from the conversation of his betrayal. I was ruffled by it, annoyed that he couldn't apologise for his death or lack thereof. I had seen Thor's grief, I had witnessed it from afar. Though I think perhaps the appearance of my own family would have had me befuddled, I would not hesitate to embrace them and cry tears of joy.

Though Loki had done this before, no doubt Thor did not understand the punch line.

'I'm not sure you belong here, darling.' Loki said, standing before me.

He was close enough I had to tilt my chin up to look at him, a game of his to inflict intimidation. But I was not intimidated, I was intrigued. Not only by the purr in his tone or the half-upturned smirk on his mouth but by how devastating he was.

I had become accustomed to Thor's handsomeness quite quickly, though it was a fact. The sky was blue, the earth was round, god's were beautiful. But Loki was other. He was chaos in the form of a man. Though I had wondered if this was partly to do with his Jötunn heritage, the coolness of his character probably connected to the ice in his veins.

Maybe it was the contrast of his blue eyes and black hair, his flawless skin or maybe the smile lines around his eyes; but Loki was never to be confused as anything other than a God. Though the word demon came quicker to my mind.

Not wishing to be wordless before Loki, I spoke confident words which had Thor hiding a smile, 'For someone who has so desperately wished to be king, you lack the courage to face your enemies.'