Chapter Five - Mrs. De'Veaux

Before Mrs. DeVeaux began her assessments, she lead formal introductions around the room which, in and of itself, took a while to complete, as there were a total of fifteen young ladies in the room. Mrs. DeVeaux took her time with the introductions, encouraging the girls to commit each others names to memory.

"A lady rather dear to my heart once told me, A proper lady remembers the name of everyone with whom she has the pleasure to make acquaintances. Remembering someones name can completely change a negative situation into a positive situation. Though you may have been born of a higher standing than most, it will do you good to forge good relations with those you meet. Its much easier to break a bridge than it is to build one, and the easiest way to build a bridge is to forge a good impression when first met."

Mrs. DeVeauxs lesson stuck with Madeline; her choice of words had created quite an impact and Madeline became eager to learn more from the young lady. It seemed clear to Madeline that Mrs. DeVeaux was a lady of a much higher standing than she let on, because of her ability to teach at Kinsington at such an age as she appeared.

Margaret nudged Madeline into the present, before standing up to take a turn around the room with another young lady. Madeline caught her name just before they walked away; the young lady with Margaret was a Miss Eliza Brighton, who appeared friendly enough.

Words to Madeline's left caused her to turn her head toward the speaker. "Miss Madeline Darbinshire, if I remember correctly from Mrs. DeVeauxs earlier introductions, pleasure to make your acquaintance. Is anyone sitting beside you?" The young lady held herself almost stiffly, her chin jut out just a tad, as if she were upset with being made to have conversation at all.

In her confusion with the young ladys countenance, Madeline hesitated a moment before responding as politely as she knew how. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss..."

"Kinsington. Amelia Kinsington."

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Amelia Kinsington. You may take this seat beside me, if you wish." Madeline paused briefly, unsure whether her next statement would be impolite. Deciding to ask her question, she spoke lowly and gave a nervous smile after the words left her lips.

"Miss Kinsington, you share a name with the academy, would you happen to be related to the founders?"

At Madelines words, Amelia stiffened her back even more, though how that was possible, Madeline was unsure.

Shooting Madeline a pointed look, Amelia then replied icily, "Ah, yes indeed. I am, though that hardly took much intelligence to connect the two names. I doubt that if you ever were to meet another Kinsington, they would not be related to the very same one who founded this academy."

Amelia paused, and scanned Madeline up and down between a narrowed sideways glance. "Miss Darbinshire, surely I am not the very first Kinsington youve had the pleasure to know? The Kinsington name is very well known throughout Caulways most esteemed dignitaries."

Amelia paused once more, her gaze unceasing on Madeline, as she waited for her response.

Feeling slighted, Madeline's pride bristled, and she wanted nothing other than to respond in a like manner as this ill-mannered girl. Giving it a moments thought though, she decided that further angering one who bears the same name as the academy would probably not be the smartest thing to do. So, through gritted teeth, Madeline gave a wicked smile as she spoke.

"Come to think of it, we Darbinshires had never even heard of the Kinsington name before mine and my sisters arrival to this school, this very morning. What a delightful pleasure to make your acquaintance, though, Miss Kinsington. I do hope we have the opportunity to deepen our acquaintance in the future, however I must take a turn around the room to stretch my legs. Don't bother getting up on my account." Her voice wavered as she stood to turn away from the Kinsington girl, frustration practically coming off of her in waves.