Chapter 27

Henry's POV

After Sarah leaves, Ray turns to Charlotte and I.
"I know Sarah said she was okay, but do you guys know anything else about what went down with her parents?"

"Honestly no. She told me it was weird getting used to how different things are for her now, but nothing really about her parents." Charlotte says.

"And I haven't heard anything at all." I add.
"Really Henry? Nothing?" Ray looks at me, he's smirking.
"What the supposed to mean?" I scowl at Ray.
"Oh nothing. Just wondering if you still had a crush on her." Ray looks at me slyly.
"Ray!" I exclaim in protest, drawing out his name.

"What?" He asks innocently.
"I don't have a crush on her!"

"Sure you don't." Charlotte looks at me pointedly.

"Okay fine! So what if I do?" I snap.

"Why don't you just ask her out?" Ray asks me.

"Cause she basically said she wasn't interested when she stopped me from kissing her." I retort. I cringe when I realize what I admitted.

"Woah you tried to kiss her?" Charlotte exclaims.
"And she stopped you?" Ray adds, looking surprised.

"Yeah guys." I sigh. "First off, she said she had a boyfriend named Alex who worked at Target. Then, later, on the phone, she said her parents wouldn't let her. She clearly just isn't interested." I let that sink in.

"Alex from Target?" Charlotte looks at me like I'm an idiot.
"What?" I ask.
"You've never heard of Alex from Target?" She exclaims.
"Who?" I look at her, no idea what she's talking about.
"If you live that much under a rock, maybe you really shouldn't ask her out." Ray says. "I mean, even I know who that is." He adds.

"I'm sorry." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"I have to go." Charlotte says quickly. "I have to help my parents get my uncle Roscoe off the couch tonight."

She heads to the elevator, and she's soon gone.

"So, Henry, now that Charlotte's gone, wanna tell me the real reason you don't want to ask Sarah out?" Ray is looking at me expectantly.
"I don't know." I shrug. "I guess cause I'm not sure I want things to change. And I don't know if she'll even say yes if I do ask."

"Call her right now. I dare you." Ray looks me dead in the eyes.
"You're crazy." I tell him.
"No I'm not! Call her, I bet you she'll say yes."
"Ray, I'm not going to call her. Even if she wants to, think about her parents." I point out.

"Oh right, them." Ray turns away from me, with a thoughtful look on his face. He scratches his chin absentmindedly.

His face lights up.
"What if she doesn't tell them?" Ray looks proud of his idea.
"You really think they won't figure it out?" I say sarcastically.
"It's worth a shot Henry! Come on, if you really like her, you're not gonna let this stop you."
"Let what stop me? Her parents?" I exclaim. "They're kind of a big deal in her life!" I emphasize my point using my hands.

"Calm down Henry! If you won't call her, I will." Ray says smugly.
"You're going to impersonate me?" I roll my eyes at him.

He holds up one of Schowz's devices. The one that modified voices.

I look at him in horror as I realize he has my phone. I lunge at him, in a desperate attempt to grab the phone from his hands.

I miss since Ray lifts it over my head. I fall to the ground. All I can do is watch as the phone starts to ring. Ray has put it on speaker, maybe so he can torture me with this conversation.

The phone rings, and rings. Thankfully, Sarah doesn't answer, and it goes to voice mail.

My phone chimes in Ray's hand, indicating a text message. This time, I am successful in getting my phone back.
It's a text from Sarah.

S: sorry, can't talk rn. I'll call u ltr

H: that's fine, it's not important anyways.

"Look what you've done Ray! Now she's probably mad at me." I look at Ray accusingly.
"Chill. She's probably doing something with her parents." Ray calms me.

"Let's just go up in the man copter for patrol." Ray suggests. We change into our costumes, and head up the tubes.

[A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the late update, but this weeks been somewhat hard for me (it's a long story) so I wasn't able to update yesterday. Also, there will be no new update next week due to school. Message me or comment if you want! - lg_8989 ]