Chapter 3 | The Abandoned Building

Chris was giving directions as Jasmine drove the car . He was following the scent of the third person . After about a drive of roughly 5 minutes , they arrived at a seemingly abandoned building .

    It was one of those not completely built buildings , with bricks and cement visible and no seemingly visible furniture as far as the eye could see. Thankfully it was day time so they wouldn't have to rely on their cheap issued flashlights .

   They went inside , quietly . They gave each other a nod , and both of them took out their guns . Ready for anything to happen.

   Chris followed the scent towards a opening in what was seemingly a long hallway . Both of them frowned , they noticed LED white bright lights . Chris and Jasmine went further and then they suddenly halted and Jasmine yet again gasped .

    There was a third dead body hung in the ceiling with a little blood dripping down , with star shaped ninja type knifes , stabbed all over his body , and the lights were placed in such a way , that it was supposed to look like a diamond shape .

    Jasmine said : "I am calling it in", and Chris could only nod . None of this made sense . If the third person wasn't the killer, then who the hell was ?

   The only logical explanation Chris could come with at the moment was that , Max had killed the women and then this man , and then out of guilt committed suicide . But for some reason this didn't feel correct . Call it a gut instinct , but Chris had a hard time believing it . 

   'Why go through all this trouble , to then kill yourself , unless a fourth person is involved . But I didn't smell the presence of someone else'. Chris wondered .

     Soon in no time , backup arrived and Jasmine used her ready-made story on how they came here and found this body.  The paramedics arrived and lowered the body , the autopsy officer , announced he was indeed dead .

   Then they found another note :

"🎵Twinkle, twinkle, little star

How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky🎵
"

       Chris did a double take at the note and then at the body . 'Of course the star knifes and the diamond shaped LED lights....'Chris thought with a grim expression on his face . 

    Their were no witnesses, no leads , the caller who had reported the body didn't know anything and on top of that they were no finger prints..... Chris was so done by all of this.

    They sent the body to be examined at the clinic in hopes of finding something . Jasmine sighed , she placed her hand on his shoulder and said : "Don't worry , we can't solve all cases within a day right ? Let's just wait it out until hopefully something comes up from the autopsy."

   Chris could only nod. Jasmine knew perfectly well how Chris felt about not being able to solve a case , it reminded him of being unable to help, just as he couldn't help his mother , and now three dead bodies turned up and he wouldn't be able to give justice to their mothers if the killer was on the lose.

    For some reason it deeply bothered Chris he couldn't find signs of a 4th presence inside the house . Maybe Jasmine was right, he would wait till the medical reports arrived.

_____________________

     It didn't take long , for the meds to take away the bodies , the autopsy began ASAP .

    Meanwhile Jasmine went to her Parlor and Salon, got her hair done , and within 3 hours , she was back at the station .

    From what they heard , there were no finger prints , or signs or DNA found, and neither any evidence supporting the presence of a fourth person . All evidence pointed towards Max killing the other 2 and then killing himself out of guilt .

   That's what the others believed and even some other detectives , excluding Jasmine and Chris himself of course .That all changed when the time of death was announced.

   The women ,Cassie Michael , 23, was killed about 40 minutes before Max Peterson .

   But what was the real twist in favor of Chris and Jasmine was that the third victim , Harry Jones, 25, was killed approximately about 20-40 minutes after Max Peterson . 

   That meant there was indeed a fourth person , much to Chris's delight . Jasmine took the opportunity to smirk and show her supremacy in the detective field to the others, who had shut their mouths .

   They made multiple trips back and forth between the different murder locations . There was nothing common with the people who had been killed , no phone call history too, but for some reason they were present at the night in the house .

   They didn't find anything new , the only thing in common with all the murders were that they were killed based off children nursery rhymes .

   That means the killer's MO is killing based off poems or rhymes. Chris wasn't going to tick off the possibility of a new serial killer just yet .

   Currently they were at the rooftop of the building where Max had fallen to his death from . He and Jasmine were searching every inch in hopes of finding something or rather anything at this point , but to no avail .

    Jasmine sighed and spoke up : "This doesn't make sense. We have a guy who basically turned into 'scramble eggs', a women who was hung up like a guy on a first date, and another man who was hung up like a f**king diamond shrine ."

   Chris couldn't help but snort . He knew it was wrong to laugh at the dead, but if someone talks like that , could you really blame him ?

   Jasmine continued : "And to top it off , we have found nothing, even your supernatural powers aren't helping with sh!T , the only thing we have is a man-child lunatic on the loose , who is great in disguising himself and hypnotizing people , I am surprised that 'scramble egg' didn't have that much blood around. But that's off topic , how are we goin............"

     She stopped her rambling when she noticed Chris's shocked expression . She sighed and said : "I better apologize before i get haunted by those three....."

    Chris had a look a 'realization dawned' face . He said : "Oh My God ! Jasmine your a genius !"

   Jasmine just flipped her hair and said : "Obviously".

    Chris said : "The answer was literally right in front of our noses , or rather my nose ."

   Jasmine asked : "Really ?"

    Then a look of horror dawned on her face as she connected the dots herself . 

        Noticing her look , Chris nodded : "The reason we haven't been able to smell, or sense any fourth human presence was because there was no human in the first place ."  Chris started.

         Chris continued : "I can't believe I didn't notice it before . The little blood where there should have been massive amounts of blood , should have been the obvious indicator ."

   Jasmine asked : "So the killer we have been searching for is a ............."

    Chris concluded : "Vampire".

____________________________

            END OF CHAPTER 3

____________________________