Forty Five - "You never called me by my name."

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. It seemed so real, talking to them. Anton did not say much, except not to trust Ramona. He said to investigate her assets."

He frowned, deep thinking, with his lips pursed, "that's something we should dig it seriously."

I nodded. "Mom looked so young and beautiful..."

"She always was," Dad agreed, with a smirk.

"She told me not to blame myself for the accident, and stop having this survivor's guilt," there were many things that Mom and I talked about, like how happy she was that I was back painting again, how she adored Pia, how she felt very sad every time I was miserable... but I refrained from telling Dad all the details.

"I agree with her. It's not your fault. You're being so hard on yourself," Dad showed concern for the first time, that it surprised me, "just be grateful that you survived, and embrace life. Learn to be happy."

Suddenly, my temper flared up.

"Are you happy that I lived? Didn't you wish that it was me who died, and not Anton?"

That suddenly caught him off guard. He exhaled heavily, then rubbed his neck. Agitation showed on his face.

"So I was right. You heard what I said."

"Loud and clear, father. It's even imprinted in my brain in bold letters."

He closed his eyes, shook his head.

"I'm so sorry, son. I hope you'll find a heart to forgive me. That was so evil of me to say that. I was shocked of myself too for uttering those words... and I could not retract that. I wish I could... but how? I said what I said at that spur of the moment and I regretted that with all my heart. I did not wish you to die, as much as I did not wish for Anton and your mom. My God... you're my son! I care for you a lot, I love you, and it never stopped. You may not be my favorite, but you were your mom's."

"Of course, I knew that all along," even Anton knew that, he could not compete mom's affection on me.

"I admit, I never understood you... and I wasn't trying hard enough. Now that we're alone in this world, I got to know you better. You have bigger visions in life. You think of what the world needs, rather than what you need."

"But you see me as Anton. Right?"

He looked confused, then shook his head vigorously when he grasped my question.

"NEVER. Both of you are too different in business. Your approach is very opposite of him. Anton would sit on his desk, nine to six, waiting for work to come to him, while you... you go out and explore the field. Anton would never make the business big, because he wanted everything spoon fed to him. Besides, you two look very different, how can I confuse you?"

"You never called me by my name, only son."

"Because you're my son," he shrugged, his face turned red, "it's my... my form of endearment to you. I want to show you how proud I am of you, and that I truly care, by calling you my son. But if that offended you... and you prefer me to call you Kristov, then, so be it. From now on, I'll call you Kristov."

"It's okay, Dad," I smiled tightly, relieved upon knowing his side, "I prefer if you call either, alternately."

"I'm sorry if it misled you. But I never see you as Anton, ever. I hope you believe me," his face softened, and started to open up, "I want you to know that for me, you're more valuable than our wealth, the company and even my life, Kristov. I'm not religious, but I always pray that if death would happen among the two of us, to take me first. I don't want the other way, I could never bear that. I would have a heart attack. I love you so much, son, please believe me."

He gave me a tight hug, and for the first time, I felt him as my real father.

"Did you really offer two hundred million to Pia?"

He stiffened, and let go of me.

"Jack told me. He heard you ruthlessly telling Pia of your opinion on her and her father. Is that true?"

"I'm sorry, son. I did it out of frustration. I can't help being terrible..." he groaned, looking very guilty, "I didn't mean about his father going to jail, that was an empty threat."

"You have to learn to accept Pia, because she's going to be my wife, and the mother of your grandchildren."

"Of course!" he patted my shoulder, "I'll apologize to her. I just hope she'll forgive me after the brutal things I've said to her."

"She will," I assured him, "she has a big heart."

"I know. I saw how she takes good care of you and makes you so happy. It's hard not to like her. She has this loving and caring nature. I judged her wrongly and I feel so bad about it."

"Well, you have a lot of making up to do, Dad. You can start by joining us with Pia's parents next Sunday, fishing at Seafood Restaurant. We'll eat only all the fish that you'll catch."

I knew he also sucked at fishing. Like me.

"Well, that looks very easy," he chuckled confidently, "tell them to prepare themselves for a feast!"