Sixteen - "What did he do to you?"

Chapter Sixteen

Pia's POV

I'm so dead meat. I ended up sleeping on the master's bed!

I remembered checking his temperature every fifteen minutes. The last time I checked was 38 degrees celsius. I sat on his bed, waiting for another fifteen minutes, when I passed out.

My goodness. Eating too much food in the servant's buffet gave me a food coma.

Moving out of the bed slowly and sneaking towards the door, I managed to get out of the master's bedroom. I just hoped he did not notice me sleeping on his bed last night.

I ran towards the servant's hall, while I stopped at every corner to make sure no one would see me. It was still so early, and everyone was still asleep. I had a fear of being caught without my beige power and red lipstick on.

Yes! One last corner, and I'd arrive at the women's quarter.

"Hey, what's the rush?"

I heard a familiar voice.

Darn it. This man started to annoy me.

I turned around and gave Cameron a brutal and unfriendly stare.

"Obviously, because I'm very busy."

I remembered him mocking me last night infront of Jack and Larry.

"Calm down. Why are you so grumpy? It's early in the morning."

"Normally, I'm not," I looked at him with angry eyes, "I'm so mad at you. You were giving hints to Jack and Larry last night that I'm not forty-five."

"Oh that," a smile ruffled his mouth, "it was for you. I was reminding you to take the steps slowly. You were supposed to be forty-five and you're climbing the stairs so fast."

Still not convinced with his explanation, I turned to go. But he stopped me by saying,

"I waited for you till midnight to come out," he lounged casually against the concrete post, "when you didn't, I assumed you stayed in his room the whole night."

"I was monitoring his temperature. The man is running a very high fever. If anything happens to him, it's my responsibility."

"Of course I know that. Why are you suddenly so defensive?"

"I'm not defensive, and I have no reason to be," I gave him an impatient shrug, "by the way, why did you wait for me last night?"

He scratched his head, his face colored fiercely, "I saw in the Work Sched list that you're off on weekends."

"And then?"

"I wonder..." he inhaled deeply, before continuing to speak, "if we can hang out tomorrow. We can go grab some coffee..."

"There's plenty of signature coffee here, we have it everyday."

"Well, we can dine in a fancy restaurant..."

"I could not think of anything fancier, the food here came from a five star restaurant," I replied.

His mouth was thinning with displeasure.

"Come on, I'm trying to ask you on a date," his face was so red, like a ripe tomato, "we can go wherever you want, my treat."

I shook my head, "No."

"Why not?" his shy expression immediately turned to disappointment, "you don't have a boyfriend, right?"

"Yes, but I don't go out with a colleague."