I

In darkness,
a betrayal will fall
the cost of fulfilling destiny;
the hero's heart bawls,
love forever lost

"I still can't get used to those." Percy mumbled, sea green eyes staring at the furry legs attached to his friend, Grover. In public, Grover usually wore loose slacks and walked with crutches to mask the slight limp in his walk. His gaze drifted back up to the small horns on Grover's head. "I mean, holy crap, you're a goat! That's unbelievable!" Percy said, running a hand through his shaggy black hair.

"Bah-ha-ha!" Grover bleated, a sound he usually made in exasperation. "I'm a satyr, not a goat." He explained. "I'm sure you will be seeing a lot more stranger things than a satyr, Percy. Now that you know about Halfbloods and Gods, your scent will be much stronger to monsters. You have to be careful outside of Camp Halfblood's border."

Percy nodded in understanding. "So, how did those weird cannibal creatures find me then? I didn't know about any of this stuff."

"They are called Laistrygonians." Grover sighed, hoove tapping against the marble flooring underneath him. The most powerful Halfblood's had a stronger smell than most, but Percy was unclaimed. They didn't know which God he belonged to. "And, I'm not sure. It might have just been bad luck, I guess."

Percy scrunched up his nose. "Laistry- what? What's that in English?"

"Canadians." A voice that did not belong to Grover responded. Percy shifted to catch a glimpse of the approaching figure.

There stood a much taller - likely only a few years older than Percy - male, with sandy blonde hair and an athletic, muscular build. He wore an orange t-shirt with the words Camp Halfblood printed on the front, and khaki shorts that reached his knees.

Percy's gaze flickered up towards his face, cringing when he caught sight of the deep scar lining the edge of the other's eyebrow down to his cheek. Percy hadn't seen him around camp before - but then again, he'd only been at camp for a week. "Uh - hi, my name is—"

"Percy Jackson, unclaimed." He interrupted. "Yeah; I sorta heard about you before. I'm a camp counselor, it's my job." He scratched the back of his head. "Name is Luke. Luke Castellan - a son of Hermes." He held out his hand.

"Oh – hi." Percy responded stupidly. He reached out to shake Luke's hand. It was warm, calloused after years of training at camp. "Nice to meet you, Luke."

Hooves clacked against the floor loudly. Percy thought it was Grover but when he glanced toward the sound he saw a familiar centaur – Chiron. He had a bow and quiver of arrows slung over his back. "Ah, there you boys are. Come now, you need to prepare for capture the flag."

. . .

Two teams had already been created by the time Percy arrived. The red and blue team. He walked over to the group of demigods, awkwardly glancing between the two groups – searching for someone he knew. The only people who stood out were the Stoll brothers. He had met them once, but they were only acquainted with each other. Percy didn't spot Grover.

Everyone was dressed as if going to battle. Some were helmets and bronze breastplate; some wielded sharp spears that looked as if they could pierce through metal; while some carried a sword and shield.

Percy only carried a pen. Technically. It was actually a disguised sword. Pretty cool, right?

The halfblood pulled out the pen and clicked it. The pen rapidly grew in his hand – turning into a blade forged out of Celestial bronze. He called it Anaklusmos.

"Gather around, everyone!" A voice boomed. It was Chiron. "Remember, the entire forest is considered 'fair game.' All magic items are allowed. The flags must be prominently displayed and can have no more than two guards. Killing and maiming is not allowed." Chiron explained. "You will lose dessert for a week if you break any – I mean any – of these rules."

Chiron locked eyes with Percy. "As I'm sure most of you are aware – we have a new camper with us. His name is Percy Jackson. As most demigods, he is unclaimed. It's his first game, so don't be too hard on him." All eyes looked over to said boy.

Percy blushed. He felt like a spotlight was being held over him. Luckily the attention didn't last long. "Percy, you will join the red team, led by Annabeth Chase." Chiron said. Percy noticed the boy he had met earlier holding his helmet between his arm and hip and his sword in his other hand. He gulped.

Luke was on the opposing team. Percy was about to embarrass himself in front of the one person he had a chance of being friends with at this place.