Chapter 1

The sound of other women's heels clicking on the ground and the smell of cheap perfume were two things I'd grown fond of.

"Annabell your time on." the manager said. I nodded.

I used to get nervous when I performed, but not anymore. The more time you spend dancing in front of strangers the less it takes a toll on your anxieties.

I noticed how he looked at me while I danced. It was normal. I have used all sorts of characters coming at me, thinking they had access to my body because of what I did.

I made a total of $2,500 tonight. Enough for my half of rent and then some I thought. The manager made sure each girl was gone before he left. I was the last to leave. My car was parked far away from the door because the employee parking was full when I got in. Something I kept constantly telling the manager to update. It posed a serious threat to us.

"Where are my keys?" I fumbled through my bag, "shit" I dropped my heels.

"Need any help?" I turned around, my heart jumping. I didn't scream, it was the man I saw early.

"Uh, no thank you,"

"I saw you in there." the man said.

"That's good for you." I didn't want to move. I felt unsafe.

"I can tell you think I'm going to try and hurt you." he put both his hands up. "No harm will come to you I promise. If I can?" He pointed to his inside suit jacket. I nodded. He pulled out a card and handed it to me.

"I'm Adam." I looked at the card. Adam, I repeated in my head. His business card was heavy and thick. Expensive man I thought.

"Well Adam, It's the middle of the night in a shady parking lot in front of a strip club, I don't want to be rude, but I would like to get in my car and go home," I said to him.

He laughed. "Alright, but can I propose something to you?" He pulled out a stack of cash. "Here's 30,000. It's yours if you come with me. No strings attached. I won't hurt you. I promise to drop you off safely."

He lifted the cash up, I could see it in the luminous light that slightly lit the area.

"I'm not stupid. That's how you end up on the news." I laughed. I was getting annoyed because I really did want to go home. I didn't want to turn my back on this man, but if he's claiming he's so safe maybe I can take a risk and turn into my car quick enough. I looked at the door my heels still on the concrete. I still didn't know where my keys were.

Slowly Adam reached again into his inside pocket. He pulled out my car keys. Oh fuck.

Flashing a million-dollar smile he was proud of himself. "You were looking for these." He put them back into his suit pocket. "They're yours and this" waving the cash, "are yours after you come home with me."

"Fine." I pick up my heels from off the concrete and look back at my car. I say a prayer, please God don't let me die.

He takes out a phone from his pocket and dials a number someone on the other line picks up, "Please pull around."

Soon after, a black Escalade pulls up in front of us, he opens the door for me, motioning for me to get in. I step into the back of this car, hoping to make it out of whatever situation this is alive. I've never been the type of person to do sketchy things like this because this was fucking sketchy, but I'm also not the type of person to die in a parking lot fighting over keys. Whatever I thought, this guy is so fucking weird.

As we drove for 20 minutes, I looked at him. He was handsome and mysterious. He looked down at his phone the whole time, typing and typing. The car came to a rolling stop, and the sound of gravel was underneath the tires. Adam looked up, "We're home."