Surround Yourself With The Right People

Let me repeat...and say a little  bit more. You definitely need to surround yourself with the right people in order to succeed with your music. The people who love you and who believe in what you do are a great start. They are often your family members. But every indie musician needs to connect and build friendships with the people who are competent enough and willing to give you honest and constructive critiques on the music. Without that kind of people around you you won't get very far at all.

When you network and collaborate you can feel that some of the people out there are so busy or so disinterested that they don't give a hoot who you are, they just do the job, take the money and move on. I have had my fare share of these.

BUT there are others who see the value you bring to the band or to a project. They respect you and thank you for the work you do together. These are some of the ones you should surround yourself with in order to grow and flourish. Let me share two examples.

I had invited a bass player to add bass to my tracks in my debut album and he took in a talented jazz drummer. We worked all day long on three or four songs and, afterwards,  I took them out for a pizza. These guys were super talented, but also humble and fun to hang out with. Jesper, the bass player has come home to me and added bass to many of the songs on the Change My Mind album and because he is exceptionally talented, prepares in advance and comes prepared to my sessions he is a dream to work with and well worth his pay. I know that the result will always be good and we always take time to have Swedish "fika" and talk about life before we start.

Trace, my vocal coach in the UK, is an encourager. I feel energised after each conversation with her which is about every other week. She says the same about meeting me! I've done a music video for her and she pays it back with vocal lessons. I introduced her to a musicians community so she could do global, live Zoom concerts through a café in California and she introduced my music on Flame Christian Radio in the UK. They just downloaded my songs and they plan on doing a show about my music...

On a negative note:

Avoid like the plague, people who laugh at your accomplishments. Stay away from those who belittle you. You know that you are not the best yet but you are learning and growing and you should be respected for the effort you've put into what you do however small. 

I have learned to stop talking about my music with friends, relatives and other musicians that think my music is sub-standard. Maybe it is to them but I don't have to hear them laugh at me or change the subject or make fun of my age, voice or choice of instruments. They are not musicians - at best they are consumers of music and they don't respect the amount of work I' e put in so I don't cast my pearls there anymore.

Like Jordan B. Petersen says in the video above

- Stay with the ppl that will listen to the rough stuff without derailing you

- Stay with the ones that facilitate your development.

- Stay with the people that help you and support you, the ones who want the best for the best part of you.

I'm not just talking about the musician you, no you, all of you. You are amiable and worthy of respect. Hold your head up high and remain humble as you stand your ground and find those few who will back you up. Back them up as well. 

This world is, sadly, filled with about 90 % people who compare themselves to everyone else to see if they are worthy of respect and do everything they can to minimise the worth of others so that they m themselves can shine. Maybe they do it unconsciously but they still do it. Stop hanging around with people like that.

Instead, find yourself faithful groupies/colleagues/team and invest in their friendship. Treat everyone with respect and don't forget yourself. The love starts there with self love. Stop comparing. Just be. And enjoy the people who are likeminded in being free souls that care.

I don't know who needed to be reminded of this. But I did.

Until next time:

www.featherheadmedia.com