CHAPTER 2. THE STRANGE MEN

i changed the timeline so that the events of season 4 take place in 855 instead of 854. the only ages i'm changing are those who are 19 in canon (eren, remi, armin, etc.). they'll be 20 in this story when we reach that time

 they'll be 20 in this story when we reach that time

Remi never thought much about her health. She was only 5 years old, after all. She wasn't formally educated or even interested in being educated.

Many children in Shiganshina actually didn't go to school. It was just expected of parents for them to teach their children what they needed to know while growing up.

The other option some took was to send their children to schools inside of Wall Maria. But since it was the outer walls, there were less of proper educational facilities for normal people.

Most of the schools could be found past the walls of Maria and Sina. Wall Maria had the average schooling. It was only a few hours, lasting from 9 in the morning until 1 in the afternoon

Schools in Wall Sina started earlier that that. From 8 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon, those children took advanced classes that were paid well for.

William would've liked to at least send Remi to a school in Trost District, which was closest to Shiganshina, but he couldn't bring himself to do so.

It wasn't like money was a problem for him, but it was more of Remi herself. She was a good child who would behave well, but she still couldn't travel far. Having to go back and forth between the two districts every day would've put a strain on her.

William also never went to school himself, but it was for a different reason. His parents didn't find the need for him to go, as it would only cause them a hassle. He wanted to go desperately, but his parents always denied him.

Remi had never shown interest in it on the other hand. She liked the idea of being able to stay home all day with her dad and Eren, who she made sure to play with often because he was her only friend.

Unfortunately, the things she could play with Eren were limited.

It made Remi upset to see other children run around while she had to sit near the window and watch. Wiliam saw this trend and spoke about it with Grisha.

So the next visit, Grisha gave her a suggestion. "Eat more fruit," he said, "and you're bound to grow out of your cough."

"Bound to? What's that mean?" the girl asked while Grisha stored his stethoscope away.

"It means you probably will do something. That's what it means to be bound to do it. So eat more fruits and vegetables, alright? I'd also drink more milk, if you can."

"She's picky when it comes to fruits and vegetables," William sighed. One of the things that could help her the most, especially since she's at a young age, was the very thing she avoided. "She likes strawberries the most, but you know how hard it can be to grow them well. Especially now, since it's March. I told her to stick to something like apples, but she only ends up eating a few bites of it."