Too Sudden

WARNING: Graphic description of violence

They literally ran. Sensing something to be wrong enough to render Tangxing speechless, the older Gods followed her crazy dash which made the trees of the forest bend backwards. Smell of smoke invaded their nostrils and they quickened their already neck break pace.

When they reached, they almost thought they were in the wrong city. Instead of the soft lights of the carnival, the entire city was in wild fire. Everything was on fire, burning furiously. The stalls, houses, and trees. And the road was full of the walking dead.

"We were gone for thirty minutes! What the fuck just happened!?" Feng Xin exclaimed. 
Tangxing, not registering anything, blindly charged forward, Heiren raised to cut down a path for herself in the sea of walking corpses. She had tunnel vision, only being able to see what was directly in front of her.

"A-Xing watch out!" Mu Qing yelled at her as fierce walking corpses were about to pounce on her. She simply blew them off with a spiritual blast, wrecking away a few buildings well. She refused to tear her eyes off something she just saw. Upon a person, several corpses were piling up. By the robes which were fluttering in the wind, it had to be a Wang.

Gritting her teeth, she reached out to unhook Rudong, and then she realised, it was at home. Hastily she swung Heiren and slashed through them. She hacked and kicked, but these were too persistent. Mu Qing jumped in to help her finish them off with his saber. Shi Qingxuan pulled off his fan and yelled,

"Wind! Come to me!" 

The wind blew faster and along with it came rain bearing dark clouds. He waved the fan by sharply snapping his wrist, making the clouds hurdle together, hoping for it to start raining.
"Leave the fire to me!" he called out.

Tangxing helped Madame Wang up, after the pile pinning her down was cleared. The reason she got overpowered was because she was holding a small child in her hand and had curled herself on him to protect him. She let him out of her cradle and said gently but firmly, 

"Run forward, do not look back and do not stop till you reach the camp. They will protect you." 
The fear struck child could only nod before running off. Tangxing sliced her sword through another heavy wave of corpses before she could turn to ask.

"My Lady, how-"

"As soon as Shu came back to the temple a sudden surge of walking corpses entered the city. They just keep coming in. The disciples have scattered around but most are in the temple. Mian has set up a healing tent by the lake. We do not know how we could not sense such a huge gathering." She said,getting up and steadying her sword.

Another wave of corpses lunged at them, mouths open drooling at them. The three of them stood in a triangle, back to back covering up the blind spots and continued their slaughter.

"It must have been teleported here. Has to be so. Even we did not feel anything." Mu Qing said as he pulled out his saber from the depths of a heap of corpses.

Tangxing nodded vigorously.

Temple, the temple is the source...

"Your Highness, please-"

Tangxing's breath got heavier. Help us, please help us... echoed in her ears.

"We will overcome this. We haven't lost yet. Please do not look like that."

It was supposed to comfort her. 

She felt chocked.

Feng Xin caught up, sword, bow, armour and robes dripping in corpse blood.