27 - The Escape

The day was quiet, Techno immediately didn't like it, it wasn't like Tommy or Ranboo to not be causing some sort of trouble or noise. Techno wandered through the wooden house, he found Ranboo asleep on the desk in the boys' room. Shaking his head he went searching for Tommy, where was that kid? He then heard cries from inside the caverns. Techno ran into one of the caves where they had been training the days past as he heard crashing of rocks inside. He froze for a split second before acting on the situation. Inside was Zaheer, somehow out of his chains, free, and trying to finish what he had started years ago. Techno slowly moved his hands down, causing Zaheer's body to contort and he was forced to his knees. Tommy, kneeling down in the corner, gasped for air, coughing as oxygen rushed through his body. Techno ignored Tommy and used his bending to pull Zaheer towards him. He placed his thumb on the old man's forehead, using his bending to cut off his airbending.

"You give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now," Techno growled, making more blood rush to his head.

"He can't enter the avatar state," Zaheer gasped, he had never dealt with a bloodbender as strong as Techno. "You need my help to unlock it."

"Good story, probably one you told him," Techno said. "Don't try me, I'm not letting what happened last time happen again."

"You can't hide him forever, the spirit vines are being corrupted, soon it will be the spirit world." Zaheer said. "I helped Avatar Korra, I can do it again."

"How about you tell me who helped you escape," Techno demanded. "Then I'll think about it."

"If I told you, you'd think I was lying," Zaheer said, White Lotus guards then came in and cuffed the airbender. "You need me Technoblade, you can't escape your fate."

"Do we know how he escaped," Techno asked, "I thought this place was supposed to be secure."

"It is, we have no idea how he escaped," The senior Lotus guard said. "We've alerted Master Tenzin, we found that his chains were cut through but have no idea who could have done it."

"Okay, we'll start an investigation while waiting for Tenzin to arrive," Techno said, "Do we have an earthbender who can serve as a truth seer?"

"No sir, none have proved to have the skill," the guard said.

"We could ask Carter," Tommy offered, limping over to them. "He has a ton of weird skills and knowledge."

"He's lived here for years and hasn't said anything about Zaheer being here to the outside world, he could be trustworthy," The guard said.

"Very well, I'll talk to him," Techno said. "Get a healer for Tommy."

After confirming with Carter of his abilities they spent the rest of the day questioning every guard that had been in and near the complex for the past day. Yet no one was found guilty. An entire day wasted. The White Lotus still had no idea who had freed Zaheer. Techno sighed as the head guard left, confirming that it had been everyone who had been in and out of the compound in the past two days.

"I guess they left, someone must have found a way in," Carter said, "I wish I could have helped find out who did it."

"You helped enough already," Techno said, folding his arms as Carter left, Phil coming in soon after.

"Nothing, I thought you would have found them," Phil said, "But it's alright, I guess this wasn't as secure as we thought."

"Actually, I do know who did it, but even they don't know they did it," Techno sighed. "It's complicated."

"How is that possible? To free Zaheer but not remember doing it," Phil said. "None of the guards were lying, Carter confirmed it."

"Think about it, there are only four people who have access to Zaheer's prison but weren't asked any questions." Techno said, keeping his voice low. "Me, you, Tommy, and Ranboo."

"That doesn't make any sense," Phil shook his head, "How could it be one of them?"

"I've been led to believe that Ranboo is going through something similar to me," Techno said, "remember how I said I would black out and not remember anything I did? The same thing happens to him, usually at night, sometimes it would make him dangerous. We still hadn't figured out a way for him to deal with it, but it stopped happening after a while. I didn't think it was still a thing until this morning. You can't tell anyone."

"I won't, but why didn't you say anything sooner," Phil said.

"It wasn't my place, but then this happened," Techno sighed. "He's a good kid, he wouldn't have done this on his own."

"You were trying to protect him." Phil assumed.

"I don't know, maybe," Techno said. "I know I can't forever, but we can't let the truth get out. Especially not after I blocked Zaheer's bending."

"Techno, what are we supposed to do? I knew we never should have come here." Phil said. "Tommy nearly got killed, you've been bloodbending again, and Ravaa knows what's going on with Ranboo. And that's not even mentioning that Tenzin is on his way by now. You kids are giving me gray hairs."

"That's just our life old man," Techno chuckled.

"You can't take anything seriously, can you," Phil sighed.

"I found it's the only way to survive," Techno said. "It sure beats trying to run from your problems."

"I think I know what's going on here," Phil said, "You're worried about Ranboo and are afraid to leave him."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Techno muttered.

"I went through the same thing when I chose to leave the Northern Water Tribe, and you," Phil said, "It may have been the hardest choice I ever had to make but once I realized there was nothing more I could do to help you and you needed to lead on your own I didn't look back. The same is happening with Ranboo, he may still need help, but he needs to figure things out on his own. You've helped all you could. Right now Tommy needs our help more than anything. Ranboo's grown up, he might have grown up too quickly but there's not much we can do about it now. Tommy is in a position where the world is making him grow up but he doesn't know how to because he's been treated like he can't for so long."

"They're still kids though," Techno said, "I was a kid, they shouldn't have to go through things like this."

"The world is a cruel place, the best we can do is support them through the trials it throws at us." Phil said. "And sadly it's always been this way. If I could change things, I would. But this is the reality we're living in."

"Then it better be ready for us," Techno said, fire sparking in his eyes. The world was unfair, and it needed to change.

~~~

As Tommy went to sleep that night he suddenly woke up on the edge of Republic City. It was covered with the same crimson vines that he had seen slowly spreading. He ran towards the forest of vines, there had to be someone else there. Bodies littered the ground, Tommy stopped in his tracks, praying that he didn;t recognize any of them. But he did. Wilbur was the first he noticed. He lay on the ground, eyes open with a hardened expression on his face.

"No, Wilbur," Tommy's breath quickened, "This, this isn't real. It can't be." His head began to spin as he looked around and he noticed more people he knew. Karl. Puffy. Charlie. Grian. Unlike Wilbur they were wrapped in vines but still unexpressive and unmoving.

"You left us," Tommy spun around to see Tubbo standing there, vines wrapped around his arms and legs. "This is your fault."

"But I didn't do anything!" Tommy protested, it was a dream. It had to be. None of this was real.

"Exactly. Why don't you go home? Back to your brother. You're nothing but a coward who runs at the first sign of danger."

"Tubbo, this isn't you, I know you wouldn't say that!"

"Then why is he saying it?" Clay walked up behind Tubbo and put his hands on his shoulders "This is your dream after all."

Aaaand here's the trauma back at it again. He may be slowly recovering but there are always steps backwards. Welp on that ominous note:

Thank you all for reading! Especially those who add this book to their reading lists! I see you and love you for it! Peace out Benders and Minecrafters from around the world.