"Fine, but I have one condition," Draz said, his expression growing serious again.

"Shoot," she replied.

"Don't go anywhere with him by yourself," he said, "and don't tell him the truth of how we met, or anything that happened before."

"That's two conditions," Claire teased, poking at him again. His hand shot, capturing hers before she could continue the assault. His fingers were warm, warmer than they had any right to be.

"Promise me," he said, his voice quiet. "It's important."

"I do, I promise," she replied, unsettled by the seriousness in his voice. Was Xeiren that big of a threat? Draz seemed to think so, which only made her more curious about the past the two men shared.

"Good, now, about Rollan..."

"We aren't leaving him behind."

"Come on, just hear me out..."

Claire scowled at him and Draz just let out a heavy sigh.

"Where is Rollan anyway? Why didn't he come with you?" she asked.

"Really? He's about as helpful as a boat filled with holes in the middle of the sea. I would have been rescuing him and you by the end of the day," he said with a shake of his head. "He's supposed to be laying low at some inn in town. It shouldn't be too hard to track him down, what with his big mouth and all. If we're lucky someone else has taken care of–"

"Draz!"

"I'm just kidding..." he muttered, though Claire wasn't entirely certain she believed him.

The sun had fully risen by the time the airship slipped with practice ease into the suspended moorings of the dock. The various platforms leading to other hanging gangways were a bustle of activity – mostly airmen loading and unloading cargo from airships of all shapes and sizes. Judging by the array of colorful patch work and vivid paint jobs which ranged from fresh to faded, the vessels had all seen better days.

At the end of the gangway where the ship had docked stood one of the messengers that Xeiren had dispatched hours before. He shifted anxiously from one foot to the other and the moment the ship had been securely lashed, the young boy scurried up the gangplank towards them.

He brushed by them wordlessly, heading in the direction of Xeiren who stood nearby handing out orders to various members of the crew. Claire watched as the boy talked animatedly for a moment, her gaze shifting between him and Xeiren in hopes that his expression or posture might give some clue as to the nature of the conversation.

Had the boy found someone who knew about Alek?

Unfortunately for Claire, Xeiren remained passive throughout the boy's speech, even as the boy lowered his arms and stepped back, clearly done giving his report. Finally Xeiren nodded and motioned for the boy to leave before turning and catching her eyes.

He strolled towards them looking thoughtful. "Yun said that he found someone who recalled the description of your magician friend," Xeiren explained. "However he wouldn't give him any details, he insisted he wanted to speak to you directly."

"Who?" Claire asked, trying to keep herself calm.

"He wouldn't give Yun a name, but assured him that the two of you knew one another," Xeiren replied. Claire looked to Draz who looked just as confused as she felt. Who could it be? She didn't know anyone in Drift. "He gave Yun a time and place to meet, The Mistral Inn at noon. It's not far from here. I have some things I need to attend to or I would accompany you myself, but I can send Jonas with you–"