Chapter 18: Illusions

Kat's POV

I frowned, watching the others move about quietly and slowly. Jack and Miko were still sleeping on the couch and Raf had his face pressed into the keypad on his computer, but they were all bound to wake up soon.

Even with the bots moving slowly and carefully, they were still loud enough. I eyed the next bar and jumped, grabbing the slim metal easily and swinging on top of it.

I perched there for a few minutes.

After yesterday, I really wasn't looking forward to this. I doubted that I would have much difficulty avoiding the topic, but the unspoken words would be loud enough.

I saw Raf sit up slowly, rubbing his face before reaching around the table blindly for his glasses, which I quickly located on the floor next to his foot.

I jumped down and landed next to him silently, plucking up the glasses and putting it in his hand. Raf put them on and smiled weakly at me.

"Hey Kat. You feel better?" He asked.

I nodded and ruffled his hair, "All good now. Breakfast?"

I held out a bag and he sighed, "I never should have told you about my mom and doughnuts."

I laughed lightly, "Oh yes, you messed up bigtime, but she'll be happy to know you're eating healthy and totally delicious food."

He opened the bag and grinned, "Where do you get this stuff anyway?"

"I make it."

He tilted his head, "How?"

"Chef's secret." I winked before heading over to the other two knuckleheads.

I tossed the brown paper bags at their faces and hit spot on. Miko and Jack yelped, sitting up and panicking at first.

"Did you guys know Kat makes this?" Raf asked, plopping down next to Jack.

At the new noises, I saw the bots look over, so I avoided eye contact and simply sat next to Miko as if nothing had happened.

Like I said before, I piss people off when I'm scared and after training yesterday, all I could think of was Sellan. What if I became him and-

No. I would never.

"If you're not going to eat that, can I have it? Since you ripped me off yesterday?" Miko asked, pointing at my food.

I snatched it up, "You ripped yourself off."

"Optimus, I've got an energon signal at an oil mine. Probably Decepticons looking for predicon bones." Ratchet announced.

I turned around and watched as Optimus gathered Bumblebee and Wheeljack. I had already deduced that Ultra Magnus, Wheeljack, and Bulkhead were gone on a different mission.

As the group left through the groundbridge, Optimus turned and looked at us one last time. Our eyes made contact and I looked away.

The groundbridge closed soon after.

"Groundbridge request from Scotland." Raf said, looking at Ratchet from behind his computer.

"Rafael Esquivel!" I scolded.

He looked up in surprise, "Huh?"

"Don't touch that computer with your greasy fingers! What did it ever do to you?" I asked.

Jack and Miko laughed, so I shot them a playful glare as Raf dramatically wiped off his fingers.

The groundbridge opened and I turned around to see who would come through. Wheeljack.