Chapter 11: Silver Lining

Ratchet's POV

I shifted patiently, waiting for anything that the others might tell me about what's going on. Had they restored Cybertron yet? Did the Decepticons get them? What's going on over there?

"Ratchet, please open a spacebridge." Optimus ordered, his voice emotionless.

I quick did just that. I didn't know whether to take his emotionless voice as his normal voice because we won or as his we failed voice.

Everyone walked through and I looked at them, nervous excitement running through me.

"What happened!? Did you do it!?" I asked and when no one said anything I panicked, "Say something!"

Bulkhead and I made eye contact before he looked away again painfully, "Optimus destroyed the Omega lock."

I gasped and looked at Optimus, "How- why- how-?"

"He didn't have any other choice. Megatron was about to Cyberform the Earth. It would have killed everyone here." Arcee defended half-heartedly.

I shook my head and looked away, disappointment swelling through me.

"Optimus, we needed that." I whispered.

He put his hand on my shoulder comfortingly, but I shrugged him off and walked back to the computer.

The monitor beeped, "Prime! Th4 Pentagon is preparing to go deathcon 1. I need to know what we're dealing with!"

Optimus frowned and walked closer, "To what do you refer, Agent Fowler?"

"Maybe you should take a look out your window." He suggested.

We all exchanged glances and headed for the elevator, our eyes widening when we saw the giant cybertronian fortress.

We walked forward some to get a better look at it as Agent Fowler's helicopter landed next to us and he ran over.

"Megatron has completed the first step in his invasion of Earth. Completeing his fortress." Optimus stated.

"In Jasper, Nevada? Why? I already evacuated the town, there's nothing and no one here except..." He trailed off.

"Uh oh." Bumblebee said, pointing out the Nemesis approaching.

"Because they have discovered the location of our base." Optimus realized.

"We've got bogies. 12:00."

I searched for the voice and saw Kat leaning against a rock, shadows blanketing her as she looked through a pair of binoculars at the ship.

"Into the base, quickly!" Optimus ordered.

I grabbed Kat so that she would not strain her short, human legs to follow after us. She scowled, but didn't protest as the elevator lowered.

"Where is Fowler?" Smokescreen asked.

"He seems to think he can hold them off! He just rode into an armada alone!" Bulkhead exclaimed.

"He's stupid, but not that niave. Fowler must have a plan of some sort." Kat replied.

We entered the room and the children looked at us worriedly.

"What's going on?" Jack asked.

"The Decepticons have invaded Jasper and are attacking the base." Optimus answered.

"That's not good." Miko stated.

I put down Kat next to them as the monitor beeped.

"Prime! Reinforcements just arrived." Fowler announced.