Return of the Royal Family

Start from the beginning

"What did you just say?"

"Uuuhh... I beg your forgiveness—"

"I'm asking you what did you just say."

Emperor Uvarito Varpal IV interrupted Sitos' attempt at an explanation and asked in a growl. The throne room was tense as never before, and the guards, royalty, and bureaucrats in the room had their hearts beating fast.

"Your Majesty! The Imperial Army's base at Zion was taken by surprise by the Japanese army and destroyed! It seems that nearly 100 soldiers have been taken prisoner!"

In the face of the enormous anger that could be seen in the piercing eyes of Emperor Uvarito IV, who feigned silence, Sitos shrank back as he repeated the report of the crushing defeat in the Seiren Kingdom.

"I am truly sorry!"

He kept bowing his head on the floor, apologizing for the defeat in the Seiren Kingdom. His body trembled in anticipation of being shouted at.

"...It seems that you have underestimated the power of the Japanese, Irta."

Uvarito IV asked Vizier Irta Orbit who was standing by his side.

"Yes! The military power of the Japanese is outstanding for a barbarian country in the Far East, and I believe that it far exceeded what was reported by the Eastern Trade Department of the Foreign Affairs Bureau. I don't know why such a country has not been known until now... but we must change our perception of it as a remote and uncivilized country and take a serious look at it. If we don't, we may lose control over our colony and vassals."

Irta expresses his own views on Japan. The previously mentioned department is a department that negotiated the establishment of diplomatic relations with the envoys sent by Japan until just before the Battle off Rovania broke out. In the end, the Japanese government decided to side with the Rovania Kingdom and ordered the envoys to leave, effectively ending the negotiations.

"The fools in the Foreign Affairs Bureau have misjudged the power of the enemy... I will punish those in the Eastern Trade Department accordingly."

Uvarito IV then stood up and gave his next order to Sitos.

"Order the entire military. We must send the full force of the Altian Empire's forces to the Seiren Kingdom and annihilate the Japanese army!"

"Yes! As you wish!"

Sitos kneeled and listened to the Emperor's order. But at that moment, he heard words from somewhere that challenged the emperor's decision.

"...Wait, Father."

At this statement, all the people in the throne room started to stir. The owner of the voice cut through the crowd and leapt in front of the throne where the emperor sat. Sitos was on his knees, looking up at the figure with a look of surprise.

"...Savia."

Standing in front of the emperor was the third princess, Savia Iliam. She continued to speak, leaving the crowd in hushes.

"...After two defeats against Japan, shouldn't we take a closer look at this country before throwing all our forces at it?"

"...What are you suggesting?" Uvarito IV asked Savia in a low voice.

The tone of his voice was so cold that she couldn't feel a shred of love for her, his own daughter.

"...It may not be a good idea to continue being hostile to Japan any longer. There is no point in continuing a war in which we have so much to lose."

Savia's words suggested that an early peace with Japan should be considered. However, there was no way that a superpower could offer peace to a frontier nation. Everyone in the throne room was stunned by the princess's words.

"Oho... indeed, the Japanese are better fighters than the other Far Eastern countries. But the next step is to send all our troops to them. If we do that, the foreign troops of a mere uncivilized country will be insignificant. The Japanese soldiers occupying the Seiren Island will die a brutal death to atone for the great crime of smearing the face of the empire twice."

Emperor Uvarito IV does not doubt the victory of his army. He attributed the successive defeats to carelessness on the part of the field commanders or the skill of the enemy's officers in overturning superior forces.

"B-but... I don't think the power of this country's military is a matter of skill in warfare. In the unlikely event that our total military strength is defeated, our country will truly be—"

The emperor did not show any sign of changing his mind, but Savia persisted, breaking out in a cold sweat. However, her words were interrupted by a shout that came from somewhere.

"You're a nuisance! How long you are going to speak, you filthy little whore!?"

The voice belonged to the first prince, Rusim Varpal. He hated the fact that Savia, a concubine's child, was giving opinions to his father, the emperor, so he spoke abusive words to her in public.

"...!"

Even though it's a well-known fact, Savia is ashamed when he mentions the fact that she is a bastard child in front of all vassals and bodyguards, and she falls flat on her face.

"...B-brother. That's too much."

Zusar Varpal, the second prince, tried to interrupt his brother, Rusim, but his brother's glare made him flinch.

"Enough... back off, Savia."

Uvarito IV made a sweeping gesture with his left hand and told Savia to leave.

"And now, Sitos... I expect the next one. Whether or not your family's blood will continue to live on in this country depends on the success or failure of the next battle..."

"...!"

Sitos was so terrified that he felt as if ice was being put through every vein in his body. The emperor had told him that if he lost the next battle, he and his entire family would lose their lives. He shuddered at the threat and swallowed his gullet as he imagined the executioners turning their blades on his beloved wife and children. Later, the audience was over and Sitos left the Imperial Palace. His Military Affairs Bureau would later inform all available troops scattered throughout the Altian Empire to prepare for a mission to the Seiren Kingdom.