Chapter 10

"Where is it?" I mutter as I drop to knees to start looking underneath the bed, nothing.

I pace around the room, searching every nook and cranny for my necklace. Drawers were pulled open, clothes tossed aside, pillows without a case, bed without its linen, and the once neatly arranged items on my dresser were scattered. It's not here. It's not here. Anxiety gnawed at me, after all these years, I might have finally lost that necklace. I don't know where it is, where it could have went, or where it could have even fell off at.

The last time I remember having the necklace was at that non-party birthday party, but it could have slipped away from then to now. I even checked and rechecked and rechecked again the same places, hoping my eye sight was just getting worst. How could I have lost it?

"Hey," Spencer voice comes from the other side of the door. "You ready? Layla's outside."

"Uh, yeah." I stare at the disaster of room. "Actually, I'm not feeling too good. I'm just going to stay here."

"Are you all right?" Spencer questions. "Want me to stay here with you?"

"No, you should go. One of us should be having fun today, take lots of pictures and videos."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to stay in bed and sleep, probably order something to eat."

Spencer goes silent for a while. "Okay, I'll call and check up on you. And if you need anything, let me know."

"Will do."

I listened intently as Spencer's footsteps gradually faded away from the door, I remain in spot until I heard the definitive sound of the front door closing. I go back to looking; trying to stay calm because becoming frantic won't help me find it. Hopefully it'll pop up once I clean the room back up, please. Clothes were carefully folded and returned to their designated places, drawers slid shut, and scattered items were on back on dresser. The bed, once in disarray, now stood neatly made.

No necklace.

This sinking feeling settled in my chest and I could feel the tears welling up, but I push those tears back. I still have the whole first floor to check. Leaving the room, I surveyed the hallway and the bathroom but it was spotless. I spared a thought for the other rooms in the house but dismissed the idea, especially Olivia's room; I hadn't been in there since the non-party birthday party, so the necklace couldn't possibly be there.

Where you at? — Chris.

Not feeling well. Staying in.

I wish you would have told me that before I invited Cameron out here to hang with you — Chris.

And what I'm going to do since that you're not here?— Chris.

You can makeup with Spencer.

The read receipt came in and I knew he definitely wasn't doing that, they been at odds since the cookout. When a minute goes by I know he's not texting back, rude. I head downstairs, since everybody's out the house for the day I can search the house in peace. Billy has taken Jordan and Asher somewhere to do some team bonding, but just the two of them since they've also been at odds with each other. Mrs. Baker will be staying late at work, and Spencer and Olivia are in Crenshaw to see China perform.

It could have gotten kicked around so much since the non-party birthday party, it could blending in with the rugs. Or could have dropped into one of the many plants pots around the first floor, I don't know but I'm checking. I rather check everywhere in the house because me or someone else is likely to find it, rather than it had fell outside somewhere — I'm never getting it back.