Chapter Eighteen || Grand Opening

The door softly clicked behind me as I tiptoed into my house, hoping my mother was asleep. The room was dark and quiet, causing me to let out a sigh of relief. Suddenly, the lamp beside the couch switched on, causing me to tense up. My mother sat on the couch with a stern look, her arms crossed. Of course.

"The school called." She simply stated, her eyes locked with mine. Sweat collected on my forehead as I forced a nervous smile, chuckling lightly. "Oh?" I squeaked out. "Mhmm. You have detention by the way," She told me and I groaned. "Great..." My eyebrows suddenly furrowed. "Mom, did you wait here until I got home just to dramatically turn on the lamp?" I questioned, but she ignored me, examining my body.

"What happened to your leg?" She questioned and I looked down at it for a brief moment before turning my attention back to her. "The school didn't tell you?" She shook her head. "Okay, well the kid I punched hit my leg and sprained my knee," I explained, glancing away awkwardly. "Anyways, I'm gonna go to sleep now..." I trailed off, inching towards the hallway that led to my room.

"Not so fast!" My mother exclaimed and I flinched, turning back towards her. She hummed while squinting at me. "Well, I would ground you, but I guess you already got a punishment from spraining your knee, huh?" She said and I shrugged. "Okay, just go to sleep." I quickly walked to my room, shutting the door and collapsing on my bed. I didn't know whether or not to sleep with my knee brace on, so I just left it on, scared of messing up my knee more. It was a little uncomfortable, but I managed to fall asleep.

------------

"What do you mean you want a divorce!?" My mother shouted, startling me from the coloring page I was working on. "Shush. Do you want (Y/N) to hear us?" My father's voice whispered. My parents were in the living room, talking about adult things. I didn't mind them, but mom's voice was loud and scary.

"Ugh- At this point, I don't care! You can't just up and leave me like this! We have a child and you know I can't take care of her alone!" My mother exclaimed, causing me to slide out of my chair and trot over to the living room. My dad placed his hands on my mother's shoulders, offering her a sad smile. "Yes, I know, but I can always come by and help. It's just, we don't work, okay? And I don't know if I can stay in the same house as you for much longer."

My mom shrugged dad's hand off of her. "Then why don't you take her! I can't take care of that kid," She reasoned and my father shook his head. "That would mean taking her away from Mark and you know how much he means to her. Besides, I want to start a new life, you know. I'll always stop by once in a while, but I just can't live here anymore," My father explained, crossing his arms.

"Okay, fine. We'll just have to settle this in court. I don't want to deal with this right now-" My mother groaned, but I cut her off, nervously shifting in the doorway of the kitchen. "Dad, what's going on?" I asked. My father shifted his head to look at me, his expression softening with pity. 'It's nothing, dear. Why don't you go over to Mark's house for a while? You can stay for dinner. I know how much you love Aunt Susan's cooking!" He gave me a smile and I nodded, a little excited to see Mark again. "Okay!"

I quickly left the house, ignoring my angry mother. I walked the familiar route to my cousin's house, attempting to forget the conversation I overheard. I didn't understand a lot of it. Especially the word 'divorce'. I had never heard of it before. When I asked Uncle Tom later that day, he just patted my head and told me not to worry about it, but I heard him talk to my mother on the phone. He was scolding her. Mark hugged me and told me everything would be alright, but I knew he didn't understand either. None of us did.

--------------

I was in a bad mood. Practically everything was annoying me. Both the talk and the dream I had last night were fresh in my mind. I groaned when I slipped into my seat at the lunch table, letting my head slam into the table, startling the group. "You okay, buddy?" Mark questioned, patting my back. I answered his question by slamming my head into the table a couple more times. Before I could bring my forehead down the fifth time, someone's hand pressed against it, pushing my head back to a normal position.