Chapter 12

Part of my hair had turned white. Not kidding. Merlin theorised that Excalibur had opened a channel between me and the magic of this world, allowing me to connect better to the glamour surrounding me. Truthfully, the ability that had been conferred upon me when I drew out Excalibur had not faded. I now wore the fabled sword on my belt in place of my right shortsword.

"There, done," Merlin said as he settled the braid of white hair in front of my left ear, allowing it to be in full view of others with just a glance.

Today was the day of my coronation. All the other four Kings had arrived at Arglewiden Lyn to bear witness. It was to take place at the top of the shrine, with the Lady of the Lake presiding over the ceremony. I stood behind the altar Excalibur had been placed in, and after Merlin had finished arranging my hair according to tradition, he took his place at my right side. The Lady stood in front of me, off towards the left.

"Their majesties," one of the Lady's maidens, whom I had learnt were nymphs, announced as she opened the door of the stairwell. "King Pellinor Pengolem of the Spring Court, King Leodegrance Pensylphite of the Summer Court, King Lot Pensalam of the Autumn Court and King Urien Pensiren of the Winter Court."

They filed out from the stairwell in order as their names were announced. I took the opportunity to study them.

King Pellinor was a bulky Fae, with muscles straining against the earthen colours of his surcoat. His tousled hair was shockingly green with a few strands of brown hair, and smile lines wrinkled the corner of his blue eyes that were ringed with emerald. He lumbered unto the shrine, his powerful body belying a grace with which he moved. To his back was strapped a heavy spiked mace.

While King Pellinor could be said to be a bear, King Leodegrance prowled into the room just as a hunting big cat would. His gold hair was weaved with lapis lazuli strands, and the silver ring around his irises glowed with a predatory intent. He eyed me with an unblinking gaze, the unwavering focus unnerving me slightly.

King Lot was a raging bonfire as he stormed into the room. He wore the bright and overstated colours of autumn, and his red and orange hair was a wild flame that stood up in spikes. He seemed to be wearing a permanent scowl and the red ring around his irises made him look all the more menacing.

In contrast, the colours of the King of Winter were more muted. Pale blue hair flowed down his shoulders and gave him an aloof air, matching the ice blue ring framing his grey irises. He narrowed his eyes at me, and a chilly wind swirled around me, stinging my cheeks and sending strands of my hair into my eyes. Casually, in a bid to show that I refused to let King Urien intimidate me, I brushed my hair behind my ears. The wind died down, and I gave him a faint smile.

"Welcome, my Lords," the Lady of the Lake said. Today, we crown a new King of the Solar –"

"He is just a boy," King Lot snarled. "I refuse to bow down to him."

The Lady frowned. "Pensalam, beware. Do not rouse the ire of the Morrígan. If you so choose, leave. Else hold your tongue and perform the rights."

The Autumn King's nostrils flared. "Very well," he declared and spun away. With all the rage of an inferno, he stalked off, followed by King Urien, who shot me a frigid glare.

Merlin shrugged. "The two greatest trouble-makers among the four. They blow hot and cold."

The Lady of the Lake frowned. "As it is, they could have stayed and challenged Arthur for the right to be High King."

King Pelinor stepped forward. "Then, my Lady, I think it prudent and wise to declare my intentions now. I wish to challenge the boy for the right, as I believe I have the greater experience."