𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

Some time later, Hertha was excitedly talking to Ranboo about Venus's letters, and Ranboo's fighting skills. She watched him train with Dream that day and was in awe with the taller boy's skill - even though he did lose to Dream in the end. Hertha specifically remembered watching Ranboo run over to the man and fling him across the room in one smooth motion of just jumping over the fellow. From what Hertha could assess, he would be good in a street fight brawl - a free-for-all. In a war? Maybe. But no one really combatted Styx, it was off the radar due to the geography, "should now be a good time to mention I sent an anonymous letter to one of your friends?" Ranboo asked, Hertha initially thought it was Lethe, after all, they were in a relationship prior to, "so that she could cause a bit of chaos over at Dream's kingdom for you?" He added on while batting his eyelids innocently.

"Who? Do you know?" She asked, hoping to get a name but partially knowing she wouldn't. She couldn't deny though, Ranboo was the best boyfriend she could have asked for - devising a complex machination over his girlfriend nearly dying. At least, if Hertha were to be killed, she'd be avenged appropriately, "wait what do you have in store?" She asked curiously.

"A girl, she was with that other guy ages ago... who was he? Can't remember. He bothered us a lot," he was talking about Pascal, "but yeah, the pale... I think she was pale... yeah her, I sent her a letter and established everything for her to go over to Dream's kingdom and tear the place down a little without him knowing. She's got a few components." He avoided telling Hertha what it was, and though she was curious, she knew better than to pry on business, being so nosy reminded her of Pascal, with his own intrusive comments without restraints.

She was grateful for Ranboo. Not because he avenged her even when she was alive, but because he was willing to fight for her at all. She'd never met anyone other than... she supposed her mother, who was willing to do that. It was one thing to comfort her, as most people would do, but Ranboo stood up to this man, almost bed-bound him (only partially related to Hertha; it was natural training but Ranboo had some misdirected anger) and went another step to wreak havoc elsewhere. It was flattering. It was like falling in love with a villain, a tall, nervous, humorous but awkward villain - who probably couldn't hurt a fly otherwise. What could Hertha say about that harmless comment? He paralysed Dream in the moments before the boy could be healed.

It made Hertha also realise how strong Dream must be, still winning against Ranboo - that man wasn't even a human! And the extent of winning exceeded breaking the other's back? Hertha had to learn to tolerate Dream, because she couldn't bring herself to respect him - but he was otherwise a great ally.

"You can let go of me if you want, Hertha." Ranboo chuckled as Hertha realised she was hugging and resting her head on Ranboo's. But she didn't mind, there was no shame when she was around him, and she was around him a lot.

Life was so odd for Hertha. She was living with a trio of siblings from the other four who were wherever they were. And they were a perfect mish-mash of personalities - all of which taught or gave her something.

Hesia, warm and welcoming, the oldest of her siblings and therefore, the most mature. She didn't hold much of an interest in anything other than being a good host to people who visited and anything warm. Which fit her personality. Hertha learnt the lava tub wasn't used by anyone other than Hesia, who enjoyed the warmth of magma. The maid still wasn't sure what the princess was doing in the Arctic, but it wasn't her place to judge otherwise. She taught Hertha how to be a welcoming person, as well as life lessons.

Ranboo, awkward and antisocial. He was one of the middle children and the only boy amongst his siblings. He was the holder of dark jokes and an immense amount of power outside the family. From the stories Hertha heard from everyone else however, he was a middle child with his family, and often teased lightheartedly. No wonder he was such a pushover, he was surrounded by a spectrum of personalities. He was ready for anything. He taught Hertha how to accept her flaws for what they were, and that not everyone will like everything about anyone.