𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

She kicked herself for being so ignorant, though the flustered boy crouched down fully and gave a wavering smile. He held her wrist and placed her hand on his cheek again, "it's been so long since someone wanted to touch me there... and yeah... they are scars," he chuckled and felt one of Hertha's curious fingers brush over the scars, "water scars from crying." He finished off, letting his hand fall from her wrist.

"Wouldn't you go blind?" She asked half-consciously - slightly dazed from both her mistake and his bold act to keep her hand there. His face was larger than expected for her small hand. "You're so special..." she sighed in wonder, "Venus would love you."

"Venus?" He asked, respectfully standing up and letting her hand fall to her side.

"Yes! The middle princess who went off for a week or so. She's just returned." Hertha explained, "she'd love you." She repeated what she had before, still believing in the same judgement.

"I'll meet her then! Let's talk some more first." Ranboo offered her, she agreed and they both spoke, warming up to each other and getting to know more random facts about the other.

After some time, Hertha tried looking around for Venus to introduce Ranboo. She thought he'd be perfect for her to court and get out of the kingdom, considering he lived further up north and he wasn't a royal, which was completely in her speed of things. But she was nowhere to be seen, so she sighed and dropped his arm sorrowfully in the middle of the hall. There were light whispers somewhere of something happening by the baby, but Hertha soon grew invested with Ranboo once more, determined to give him a good time as he glanced around nervously to everyone either observing or avoiding. With some courage, she took his hands and he looked down with some form of surprise, a new song tuned in from the strings in the corner of the room, and people were dancing. She didn't feel that there was harm in dancing with him, there didn't need to be feelings involved. Yet a part of her felt it was too shallow to do that to him - even so, she held his hands and danced with him, being too short to actually hold him as though it were a waltz. He gave a small chuckle when he realised and watched her shoot a passive glare before they both danced like children to the song, it was silent at first but they were soon humming along.

After the song finished, Hertha looked around for Venus again, finding her to be nowhere, "why are you looking around so much? Is there someone you have to avoid as well?" Ranboo asked, glancing around himself. Hertha liked the way his hair moved behind his movements and gave him that extra expression.

"I'm trying to find Venus! I hope you don't mind... I just feel you'd be perfect to court her. You're her speed and your timid nature would charm her. She likes shy people you see... and you're around her age. She'd enjoy her time with you." Hertha explained dismissively and looked around, only turning back when she heard Ranboo's breath hitch from where it was, "what's wrong? Would you like to sit down?" Hertha asked him obliviously.

"She's 18? I thought she was older... that's what I've heard about her at least... she doesn't get spoken about much." He pondered aloud. Hertha paused herself and looked up at the boy.

"You're 18!?" She exclaimed before blushing and bowing quickly, "I'm so sorry! I thought you were at least 20! You're just so tall and I assumed you were older!" She begged for forgiveness, essentially. Ranboo only laughed at her apology and picked her up.

"It's okay! It isn't often I meet someone so apologetic. You've said sorry a lot at this party - it's fine! You're being a great hostess if that's what you're going for. Let's be friends." He quickly changed the topic and walked with her to the front door of the castle, a grand set of wooden doors bolted with metal rods to fortify the planks. They were open to let the warm spring-turning-summer breeze flow into the hall and let the guests in. "I've noticed that your kingdom doesn't have many monsters." He looked around the empty streets.